DVD-RAM or DVD-RW - which to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ronald_ffs, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ronald_ffs

ronald_ffs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the published characteristics of DVD-RAM, -RW and -R, begs the question "which media should I buy for home use?" At the moment - as a new DVD recorder owner - it seems as though I need buy only DVD-RAM. Any comments on this philosphy would be appreciated.

Ron :lease:

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    If it's purely for your own use and you don't want to loan/give away any of your recordings then I believe RAM is perfect for you.

However, if you do plan to loan/give away any of your recordings then you should be using -R or -RW.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming your recorder is a Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC or certain LG, Samsung or Hitachi models, then DVD-RAM is an option and speaking as a Panasonic owner, DVD-RAMs are the ones that allow it use its full potential and flexibility with removable media, offering everything that you can do with a hard disc drive, only at a (much) smaller capacity. In the case of Panasonic recorders, you can also use DVD-RAM discs in caddies, which makes them very hard wearing. On the other hand, there are quite a few other machines which can't handle DVD-RAM if you want to lend discs out to friends - though a surprising number nowadays will play them.

DVD-RW discs can be about as flexible as DVD-RAM, but only in recorders which offer VR mode. VR mode is less universally compatible than the normal way of recording on DVD-RW though.

DVD-R is not really reusable or flexible, but cheap, good for archiving and very robust compared with DVD-RW.

4. ronald_ffs

ronald_ffs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the comments; my recordings intended (for now) for own home use - but who knows!!! My DVD recorder is a Samsung DVD-VR320.

many thanks
    Ron :)