1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd ram or dvd-rw or r?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by gabbyevs, May 16, 2005.

1. gabbyevs

gabbyevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive just orderd a panasonic recorder and was wondering if someone could tell me wots the best disc to have

i know dvd-r cant be rewritten over so would it best to get a ram or rw disc for recording programs?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    What DVD recorder is it? DVD-RAM will enable all the features of the machine, i.e. timeslip, editing and so forth, but won't playback on other DVD players. DVD-RW will act as compatible re-writeable media but with minimal features. And DVD-R provides near universal compatibility but minimal features. Therefore it is probably best to get some of everything!

3. gabbyevs

gabbyevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    its a panasonic dse10

wot minimal feature are theere on the rw?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    If you use DVD-RW then you will be able to record in a linear way like a VCR. Your recordings will play on most, but not all, DVD players. Features you'd be able to use on the DVD recorder though are limited to (more or less) titling the recording, deleting it and formatting the disc.

If you use DVD-RAM you will not be able to play on other DVD players (unless it is a DVD-RAM capable player/recorder) but will be able to use simultaneous record/playback, editing, playlists (non-linear playback - ideal for music!) and be able to re-use the disc again and again without formatting/finalising.

Have a look at the differences between the formats and an explanation of VR and Video mode for further info.

5. gabbyevs

gabbyevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanx for that i think i understand it better now!