DVD-RAM media for Panasonic E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chiyoaiki, Jul 5, 2004.

1. chiyoaiki

chiyoaiki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a good DVD-RAM media to use with Panasonic E55? Which brands work well with E55? Is there any particular brand that I sould avoid?

Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    As DVD-RAMs are more complex to make than DVD+-R/Ws there is not the problem of unlicensed Chinese producers and thus 'most' DVD-RAMs should be of good quality. However personally I prefer to stick to 'brand names' such as Panasonic, Maxell, Verbatim and TDK - especially as DVD-RAMs form an essential part of my backup system.

DVD-RAMs can be got reasonably cheaply here:
    http://www.dvd-and-media.com/dvd-ram-media.htm

Panasonic disks can be got at reasonbale prices from the Panasonic E-Shop:
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/shop.aspx

If you after some cheap disks then SVP have them for under £2 although I have never tried them:
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_RAM___CLICK_HERE.html

3. chiyoaiki

chiyoaiki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do "non caddy" and "non-cartridge" mean?

Thanks.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    DVD-RAM disks can come in square protective cartridges that protect the disk from damage. Ideal if you have kids, pets or anything else that damages media.

However most DVD-RAM compatible devices only take non-caddy DVD-RAM disks and so many disks are now sold without cartridges - instead they are covered with a special coating that offers protection to the disk. If you are using DVD-RAM disks with your PC frequently I suggest getting the non-caddy version as it saves the hastle of removing/reinserting disks from their caddies.

Just for your reference the main types of DVD-RAM disk and their definitions are:

Type 1
    Double Sided disc mounted permanently in a protective cartridge.

Type 2
    Single Sided disc in a protective cartridge, but the disc can be removed from the cartridge for playback in DVD-ROM drives that have DVD-RAM playback capability.

Type 4
    Double Sided disc in a protective cartridge, but the disc can be removed from the cartridge for playback in DVD-ROM drives that have DVD-RAM playback capability.

5. chiyoaiki

chiyoaiki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many time can you re-write a DVD-RAM? Is there an upper limit on number of times? Will I need to format the disk before using each time? What happen if I finalize the DVD-RAM, can it be used again?

Thanks.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Upto 100,000 times (as opposed upto 1000 times for DVD+-RW).

No - the erase or partial erase can be used. Each frees up disk space meaning there is no need to format.

You don't finalise DVD-RAM disks - they work like a removeable HDD, i.e. you do not have to finalise them to allow DVD-RAM readers to 'see' them. Your E55 will not give you the option to finalise a DVD-RAM.

7. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smart Buy Ram is only £1.49 and it's been fine for me.

Welcome back Rasczak!

Regards

Darren

8. volvofl10

volvofl10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2