1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM - how popular is it? And an eBay bargain.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RMCF, Feb 17, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Reading the reviews of Panasonic DVD Recorders, they always seem to get very high marks. However, although DVD-Ram sounds like a great format, its not much use if you can't lend a DVD to someone cos most of the people have players that aren't compatible. And they can record DVD-R but not -RW - whats that about? Its a shame because I spotted what looks like a good bargain on eBay 10mins ago. Panasonic DMR-E50 in mint condition - currently at £100 with no bids. 2½ hours left. I was going to bid but put off by the format. Any one else interested check out link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5751008908&fromMakeTrack=true

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You don't buy DVD-RAM for compatibility - you buy it for longevity, reliability and it's high number of re-writes (average 100 times more than other discs).

And the fact is if you want features on a DVD recorder such as editing, timeslip, playlists etc then you need to use Video Recording (VR) mode - which is incompatible with existing DVD players. In which case you might as well use DVD-RAM.

If your interested in buying a DVD recorder may I suggest you check the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature.

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Someone has missed out a bargin there, I love my new E55 :)

MB

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RAM is also indispensable for peeps who wanna transfer recordings to PCs for editing/menu creation/etc....

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you want to go to the trouble of recording something for others to borrow, you might as well put it on a dvd-r which costs around 25p, rather than lending out expensive rerwitable media that you might not even get back, even if it did have a -rw option.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Exactly. I buy spindles of 100 dirt cheap DVD-Rs precisely for this purpose. It is so much easier just to hand someone a disposable disc rather than request one back - especially as DVD-R is considerably more likely to work with their DVD player in the first place...

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All these poor excuses about how to waste discs(even at 25p) just because Panny don't supply -RW.My -RW discs are great for my sons PS2 and I don't waste any.
    Thankfully,your ideas are in the minority and Panny have woken up to the fact that adding -RW removes the only real argument against their machines

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Good for you then Phelings. I'll continue to use DVD-R though thanks ;)