1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM / HDD Editing Features

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faith, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Faith

Faith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question

Are Recordings made on a DVD-RAM Recorder such as the Panasonic DMR-E55 more or less editable than a Recording made on a HDD Recorder such as the Panasonic DMR-E85H?

Faith

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A lot more editable with a hard drive recorder...

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hello Faith

I think the E55 has the same editing features as the E85 (partial erase, create chapters, edit titles, change thumbnails, etc). The snag is that having edited your recording on DVD-RAM, that is as far as you can go in the E55 because it only has one drive. The E85, on the other hand, has two drives (HDD and DVD), so after editing your recording to your satisfaction you can then write it to a DVD-R. This is one of the advantages that a HDD/DVD recorder has over a DVD recorder (and is presumably why SDHoward said 'a lot more editable'). You can also transfer recordings at high speed between the HDD and DVD-RAM discs as much as you like in the E85, so you can think of the DVD-RAM discs as extensions of the HDD - in fact they behave very like small removeable HDDs.

Ian

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can also start off with a lot more footage than you could record on a single DVD-RAM and edit it down, splitting it over a couple of DVD''s / removing enough content to fit it on 1 DVD etc...

5. Faith

Faith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the replies but i have two further questions

1) With regards to the Panasonic DMR-E85H is it possible to remove the adverts from recordings made onto the HDD?

if Yes

2) Does the final recording look natural when these adverts have been removed?

Faith.

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You can remove adverts easily with partial erase - go to the start of the ads, adjust the position in slow motion or frame by frame and mark it, mark the end of the ads in the same way, then erase. The recorder leads you through the process by automatically moving to the next command at each stage.

Where you actually mark the start and end of the erase is a matter of personal preference. I tend to leave the 'end of part one' and 'start of part two' bits to avoid making the cut looking too abrupt.

7. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Perhaps I should add I am very much a beginner at this. At the moment I find the process of editing to remove adverts, setting chapters, changing thumbnails and editing titles is very time consuming. I'm tempted to skip most of it for programmes I am not likely to watch many times - just top and tail the extra material before and after each programme and edit the title, and then fast forward through the ads when I watch it.

And if DVD-RAM discs gets much cheaper (they are already down to £1.50 a disc for Panasonics in a current offer) then I may not bother with DVD-Rs for my own use, mainly because I feel I have to get everything just right before I commit a recording to DVD-R. I read somewhere that the Japanese mainly use DVD-RAM rather than any other media.

8. StevieC

StevieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to edit a DVD-RAM on the E55 then use a PC to copy the edited DVD-RAM onto a DVD-R?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes you can. As long as the drive in your PC reads DVD-RAM, which many do not. However the good news is that you can buy a DVD reader for PC's which reads DVD-RAM for less than £14 from EBuyer

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Why not look at the PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM to DVD-R sticky thread at the top of this forum!