DVD RAM - Best of breed or pile of poop?

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
2 DVD RAMS went belly up tonight.

One crashed my tosh and the other has cyclic redindancy failure on.

I only had 2! One panasonic and one tosh. Bit of a coincidence they went on the same night! I only used them about 10 times, what about the the other 990,000 rewrites Im due?

Were you using both on your Toshiba? Or one on your PC and one on your Toshiba? Or both on your PC? The odds of one failing is slim, the odds of two failing together is slimmer :) Therefore I would suggest it may be a setting or action you (or your software) has caused. You haven't been using them in a PC with InCD or similar have you?

Yes. Both were used on Toshiba

First one I used, copied a playlist onto it no problem.

Second one had some stuff from ages ago on it so tried to format it. Says it was corrupted.

Went upstairs to PC. It couldnt recognise second disc, no scratches or marks on it.

PC read first disc, using TMPGenc DVD author. Stated that there was a stream error after 5 mins. Then tried file copy in win explorer, did this for 20 minutes then decided to tell me it had a cyclic redundancy check. No on 2nd attempt.

I think I have 2 very expensive coasters.

I think it is probably an issue with your PC and the particular discs - it certainly sounds similar to problems several users were having with LG drives earlier in the year. What PC DVD drive are you using?

Potentially it could be fault with your Toshiba - but my money would be on your PC.

I think I have 2 very expensive coasters
£3 will buy two replacements ;)

The drive is a toshiba drive!!!!
An old 4 speed -R/RW /RAM burner

Have never had a problem in the past.Both disks stored away from damp/temperature/children.

So where can I buy new RAMSat £1.50

nunew33 said:
So where can I buy new RAMSat £1.50

Surely if you're that worried about the quality, you should think more about that than the price ?

Imnot worried about quality, just surprised that 2 RAMS went belly up in one night after each being used <10 timeswhen they are supposed to be more resilient.

Whats concerning is that the DVD RAM that the PC cant read is readable by the Tosh XS32 still

DVD Ram. Have you ever burned onto a dvd ram. I havent. Can you? I dont know but for me give me - any day.

nunew33, if it had been one disc then yes it could have been put down to media failure - no optical media is 100% resilient - but for two discs to fail within a short space indicates "other factors", i.e. a faulty machine, an incorrect driver or, more often than not, instant write software.

Whats concerning is that the DVD RAM that the PC cant read is readable by the Tosh XS32 still
Which tends to indicate a driver problem. Have you downloaded the latest RAM drivers?

reformatted the disk on the xs32. Redubbed programmes.

This time the PC pickedit up but rad andwrite speeds seem to be slower.

Maybe its an expectation thing but 3.9Gig of data (5 titles of equal size) took 25 minstowrite on the XS32 and the sameamount of time to read. Does that sound right?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom