dvd ram and dvdrw disks

motty

Standard Member
Reaction score
if i tape a programme on a dvd ram disk and put it on my dvd burner and do a straight copy to a dvdrw disk will it work or do i have to fiddle with the ram disk to get it on a dvd rw disk.

My dad has my old dvd player and came up with the idea so he can watch his crappy gardening progs and history progs in good quality.

if i tape a programme on a dvd ram disk and put it on my dvd burner and do a straight copy to a dvdrw disk will it work or do i have to fiddle with the ram disk to get it on a dvd rw disk
DVD-RAM only records in the .VRO file format. Now you can copy this to a DVD-RW straight off but the DVD-RW will then be in 'VR Mode' which isn't widely compatible.

Thus you'll need to rename the .VRO file to .MPG, download a programme such as TMPG Encoder, use the 'MPEG tools' and run a 'simple demux' on the file (which will split it into it's native .msv and .ac3 tracks) and import it into an authoring package of your choice. You can then add custom menus (animated menus etc depending on the authoring package), respecify chapter points etc and burn to DVD-R and DVD-RAM.

I can guide you though this process step by step if you need help. If you use your DVD burner in conjunction with your new E50 you can make DVD recordings to rival commercial disks.

If you just want to make recordings to lend to your friends (i.e. you don't want to spend ages authoring them) - can I suggest you do what I do and have a spindle of 100 dirt cheap DVD-Rs and just treat them as throw away media.

You'll need to experiment with how the machine will serve you best but I would suggest:

1) For timeshifting always use RAM due to the fact it's re-writeable, you can benefit from Timeslip etc

2) A programme you want to archive - again I suggest you use RAM. Record, edit as required and then follow the process I've outlined above to convert to DVD-R.

3) For quick copies of programmes for friends etc use cheap DVD-Rs.

Thus you'll need to rename the .VRO file to .MPG, download a programme such as TMPG Encoder, use the 'MPEG tools' and run a 'simple demux' on the file (which will split it into it's native .msv and .ac3 tracks) and import it into an authoring package of your choice. You can then add custom menus (animated menus etc depending on the authoring package), respecify chapter points etc and burn to DVD-R and DVD-RAM
I should point out you can get several applications that will do this all for you such as Ulead products or TMPG Author but they cost (modest) sums of money.

For shunting stuff upstairs I would use the cheap DVD-R option. You can get DVD-Rs for as little as 50p each and can fit upto 6hrs of stuff on it so just have a disk that you fill up for your dad, finalise it and away you go. Unless he watches 6hrs of gardening a night it's not going to cost much.

i dont want to go down the dvd-r route.I have dvd-rw disks and
would like to record stuff of tv in general for my dad on a dvd ram
disk and copy it to a dvdrw so he can watch it and use the disks again.

i have ulead media pro 7 and ulead 7 and dvd movie factory 2
vegas video 4dvd pinnacle expression neo dvd standard.
sonic my dvd and dvdit pe.Also canopus procoder.Does any of those software products help.Its amazing the stuff you can borrow off good friends.

movie factory 2
I think Ulead Movie factory 2 might be able to help - although I'm not certain on that. Try importing the '.VRO' file - if it works great, if not you'll have to try a differnet application. All of the ones you list will act as the authoring package but you might still need to demux first.

For PC based solutions your going to find a greater knowledge base here:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/
The guys on this forum have used every type of a software package so you will be able to get answers without having to install products.

There is a bit of a steep learning curve with PC DVDR but once you've climbed it the process is as easy as pressing record (well almost) :devil:

Actually I've just been informed that TMPGs DVD Author has just been updated to included .VRO file format support. You can download a time limited demo of this - I would recommend it as it is simply a case of import it, export it, burn to DVD-RW. The whole process would use about 5mins of your time and 50mins of your PCs (compiling/exporting). This would be the most user friendly/time saving option for you if you don't want to use DVD-Rs.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom