DVD RAM 70% market share in the States!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdm197, Jun 29, 2003.

1. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi everyone,

I must admit to being staggered to this fact, picked up from the Afterdawn Website, we are led to believe that RAM is not doing to well at all, especially in Blighty, but being as the States is such a huge market, this normally dictates what the rest of the globe gets. I enclose the extract in full:

DVD-RAM recorders top the U.S. markets

According to leading market information company The NPD Group DVD-RAM -based DVD-recorders hold a 70 percent share of the stand-alone recorder market in the United States.

DVD-RAM -based units are capable of offering digital video recorder types of functions, such as on-disc editing and pausing live TV. DVD+RW based recorders lack these functions. On the other hand recordings made on DVD-RAM recorders cannot be viewed on standard DVD-players.

I have a DMR-E50 myself, and this is good news, as hopefully it will bring down the cost of RAM blanks, I'm not holding my breath though!!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    For the PVR market DVD-RAM has claimed a 69% stake worldwide - not just in the US. It's just in Europe where DVD+RW has managed to get a foothold in the PVR market (the PC market is entirely different):

From a report in March 2003 on CDR Info based on 2002 sales:
    "As for drives used in home DVD recorders, DVD+RW accounts for 15.4%, DVD-RW for 15.5%, and DVD-RAM for 69%. DVD+RW recorders are only produced by one firm, Holland's Philips Electronics NV, so growth was limited, and market share of DVD-RW products from Pioneer Corp dropped rapidly over the course of the year.

In contrast, sales of HDD-equipped DVD recorders from Toshiba Corp went very well in 2002, and DVD-RAM drives from Toshiba and Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co [Panasonic], Ltd dominated the market."

The full article can be read here:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=3592

For PCs DVD-RW just has the lead (which is also positive news for DVD-RAM users as many drives now also read/write to RAM disks and, of course, use the same write-once media). DVD-RAM isn't really a competitor in this field as it's PC uses are somewhat different to the other formats (i.e. mostly business use such as high security data, regular backups etc).

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    You can get RAM disks quite cheaply if you shop around - you can get some for as cheap as £3 each. Of course that is still much more expensive than a DVD+/-RW disk got from a similar source. However your average RAM disk has a life expetency of 100,000 re-writes as opposed to DVD+/-RW that has a life expetency of 1,000. If you go for caddied DVD-RAM disks then the odds of you suffering data loss is also very, very slim.

4. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Rasczak,
    I had no idea of RAM's overall popularity, you sort of get a blinkered view, with seeing how well Philips are doing in the UK. Philips seem to be more popular in the UK, with DVD+R/+RW. Thanks for the tip on RAM disks, costwise.

5. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    september (uk) should see the release of the super dvd burners for pc market with triple formats, +/-/ram, this along with sub £300 stand alone pannys will increase the pc ram recording base in the uk and push the inferior plus and minus rewritable formats to the bin (imho).
    i use the £2.98 mirror ram discs from svp, with no problems in my e30.

6. kyle reece

kyle reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main problem with dvd-ram is panasonic in 2001( less so in2002) they just did not have a lot of stock to ship to the uk.
    pana uk where given a miserly amount to shift ,but hopefully the reduction of the DMR E50 to £399.99 will help move them on

7. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think the price quote was a typo ? Got mine for £295.95 a week or so ago, which seems to be a typical on-line price. Hopefully as you say, bigger recorder base will help reduce RAM prices. Have yet to try the "cheapos" from SVP, but reading this forum and others they seem to be OK.

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can second that as I am using lot's of them for months without problem so far.

sdm197
    Lot's of propaganda from the Plus format addicts would have you believe that RAM is on it's last legs. It's all a load of tosh as you have discovered. Have no fear the only thing likely to dislodge RAM is Blue-ray. At affordable prices I think that will be quite a while yet. The plus format of course would also become history at the same time if not sooner.