Dvd-r?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ikki, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Can someone point me to the very cheapest player that will play DVD-R, +R & DVD+RW without question.

Thanks. :)

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The majority should, techinicaly. But if I were you have a selection ready when you buy your player. Carefully unwrap and save packaging and test, if it wont play take it back for a replacement. Go for the Denons or other well known brands. I have had very few problems with my Pioneer and Evesham players regarding disc compatability.

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?bid=0&cid=83

checkout the umax/yamada (same makes, sometimes models are badged differently) players, i usually recommend them to people who want to play anything and use a scart lead, i know a lot of people with them who are very happy with them. they aren't the high end of AV gear by any means, but on a standard TV connected via scart to someone who hasn't experienced £500 players, they won't know any difference

one thing about SVP is they usually post reviews of what the players can and can't handle. you can also checkout www.videohelp.com as they also list what types of media players can cope with

if you want a slightly better player, see if you can get a pioneer 575 from richer sounds, they sometimes have clearance or exdem stock, the 575 will play anything, and you can download and update the firmware to make it multiregion and enhanced the features. the 575 will also play sacd and dvda as well as give you a half decent picture via component/prog scan, and it's probably built better than the cheapo models. you will probably get one for about £50, but it's well worth paying the extra £20 or so over a cheapo model

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I should have been more explanatory. It's not for myself, I have an Arcam which is fine with these disks. It's for some good friends who really can't afford more than about £30 so that they can play home movies and tv recordings that I occasionally make for them.

I was thinking more about the cheapies form the likes of Tesco or Asda which come into this price bracket. It will only be played on a 26" crt set, so it doesn't have to be the best performer ever, just play these disks reliably.

The Umax dvd-7400 is a possibility, but stretching it price wise.

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    well as those asda/tesco players cost about £15 they probably aren't loosing out much if they just get one and try. i would imagine most modern players wouldn't have a problem with burned discs these days, but if you aren't sure, get the model number and do a bit of googling for a review as you'll maybe find a comment on hotukdeals or MSE as those sites seem to be more up on the cheaper end of the market. or the could nip into richersounds and get something for about £20 and they will be able to take it back if it doesn't work, altho they will probably know in the store if it works or not