DVD-R which one ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by niccam, Jul 4, 2002.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody just a new thread to see if I can get an answer to the problem of dvd-r discs. How come PRINCO discs work in the DMRE20 for Joe 100% but won't work for Pat and Traxdata discs work for Bill but won't work for Sam . What work 100% for everybody is it the more expensive discs or are they in the same boat. I value anybodys views on this subject as I don't want a lot of coasters, thank you

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Unfortunately DVD-R's have become a bit of a lottery and a hit or miss affair.

You may buy a disc with Princo written on it, but you need to know if it is a 1st or 2nd gen one. Same goes for a lot of other brands.

You will find that earlier generations of DVD-R's to be very indifferent across different batches. This includes being from the same brand.

2nd generation discs fare better and now the 3rd generation discs are much better. They have gradually improved and will continue to do so.

Best quality ones are Verbs/Apple or TDK and these are also the most dearest ones. Next ones to go for are Datasafe or White label 3rd gen ones or FWS 2nd gen. These brands tend to be quite reliable and quite importantly will play compatibly on many other players once the disc is finalised

Beyond these brands it's best to experiment with whatever brand works best for you.

One things for sure, if your DMR locks up at whatever stage of recording/reading or finalising it's the disc that is the problem.

3. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko Star have bought the 3 gen Datasafe going to give them a go