1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R .... which is the best media?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Fiend, Jul 27, 2005.

1. The Fiend

The Fiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As the title says.... Which is the best DVD-R media? Just bought myself a Pio DVR530 :devil: :D

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pioneer so RITEK

3. oggy111

oggy111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree! Sorry to say, my pioneer 530 will not carry out high speed copying from the hard disk when using Ritek G05 discs. I have many coasters to prove it!!!
    Has anyone else found this to be true? It also does not care for CMC MAG AE1 discs (Titanium 16 speed/H.P. 8 speed), or TTG02 (Bulkpaq 8 speed) and what I find quite strange, is that it does not like Piodata, which is their own brand!!!:oops:
    Likes MCC 02 RG20 (Verbatim) discs, red Datawrite, and Princo discs.:clap:
    The three above, that it likes are all 8 speed or under, don't know if that is relevant.
    When using the discs it does not like, the machine sounds like it is about to take off, it revs up and slows down a lot before it fails.
    Hope it is not faulty, as LX Direct where I bought it from, haven't had any in stock for months, and I don't fancy it being away for weeks on end being repaired, it would be like losing my right arm!!! :rolleyes:
    Haven't tried any of the recommended discs on page 111 of the manual yet. Hope I can find a source of the ones it does like, as my stocks are getting a bit low, and low speed discs are hard to find.

4. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a 630 and my one does not like Titanium 8x at all. Some load, some don't. I have not had any trouble with Ridata G05 8x or with Maxell G05 8x. I also find that although it will say 7 mins on the little meter on screen when high speed copying, it can take anything up to 12 mins. This only happens on 8x, I have not tried any 16x media.

By the way, Piodata is not made by Pioneer. Came across this a while ago:

Pioneer brand = Pioneer's PVC quit manufacturing blanks in 2003 (PVC media codes). LeadData and Ritek tried to sell their PIODATA and PIO coded blanks under the "Pioneer" brand name, but that was fake.

It was on this site:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

5. davidhh77

davidhh77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past I've always used TDK media, but my latest batch of 8x TTG02s has contained a fair number with physical faults. When the disc has been okay, they've burned fine on the Pioneer 530H.
    I also use Verbatim 16X media - MCC 03RG20 - with not a single failure in 150 discs. I've just bought some Taiyo Yuden TYG02s, but not had a chance to try them yet.

David.

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  7. thickorwhat

thickorwhat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted an earlier query re discs earlier today regarding the Pioneer 530. I bought Ridiscs (50) as I know they play ok on the Pioneer - all I have tried so far have failed, also Imation and Ritek. The only discs which have worked so far are the high quality Verbatim in Jewel cases (2 or 3 failed) and TDK (only tried one as I have just bought some on the recommendation of the Pioneer helpdesk when I called re disc failures).
    I would be grateful if other users could recommend what they have found to be the best media.
    Can I ask a silly question?? :lease: I have bought some TDK -RW so I can use over and over to watch on my TV/DVD player in the bedroom. I know I have to finalise before I can watch on the DVD upstairs but if I finalise the -RW how can I keep using it again - it's probably in the manual somewhere but I am sure someone has the answer in this forum.
    Thanks

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    You will have to reformat the DVD-RW again before re-use and this means you will lose ALL info on it. Unlike a DVD-RAM disc (which Pioneer do not support) which can be used over and over again without reformatting. But RAM discs will only playback on the Panasonic, JVC and NAD DVD PLAYERS which support this format and, of course, some PC dvd-rom players and dvd-writers - including strangely enough the Pioneers. The Pioneer 110 Writer also supports writing to DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM also supports timeslip, which means you can be recording a programme on a ram disc and start watching it from the beginning before the recording has finished.

I use Datawrite Yellow DVD-R both 4x and 8x on my three Panasonic dvd recorders and they also work fine on the JVC DRm10 dvdrec. Why not get a sample pack from SVP to try a few different makes of media

http://www.svp.co.uk/searchresults.php

9. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've been using Philips DVD-R for my 530 with no problems at all.

10. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Me also.

11. davidhh77

davidhh77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely you can Undo Finalize under Disc Setup on the Home Menu and then make changes? Haven't tried it myself but I would have assumed that was what the option was there for...

David.