Question DVD R. to soundbar: Any likely AQ improvement from replacing RCA analogue with digital?

Jabba flabba

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Although I'm content with my current TV/DVD/soundbar setup, I'd like opinions on whether the sound quality from DVD playback to my Kitsound Ovation soundbar could be improved.

I've drawn on the back of an envelope my current setup and a possible, new setup.

IMG_20160716_184100.jpg

The change I'm considering is to replace the analogue stereo RCA lead (Belkin PureAV, 0.9ft) from DVD R. to TV with a digital connection from DVD R. to soundbar. However, it's not that simple because the DVD R. digital out connector is coaxial and the soundbar is Toslink. A £10 converter with both leads either side would solve this.

The soundbar, a Kitsound Ovation, doesn't decode Dolby Digital or DTS, but apparently creates its own Virtual Surround Sound from the PCM signal. I wonder whether, in the new arrangement, the incoming multi-channel audio will produce better sounding Virtual Surround Sound than from the current stereo analogue signal.

I appreciate it might be difficult to say without testing but it'd be good to hear others' experiences of trying to optimise their setups.

I don't use the TV's speakers, ever.

Thanks.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've realised since I posted that the possible new setup wouldn't deliver audio played back via the TV's USB port. To do this I would have to use the TV's 3.5mm headphone jack to the soundbar (optical already used by DVD R.), or keep the current setup and use a coaxial/toslink switch.

So all in all I think I'll leave things as they are. I could very well end up spending money on a switch that becomes redundant very quickly (the DVD R. is already 8 years old, and a bit temperamental).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom