DVD/R + Tivo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richard Moore, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a DVD recorder for two purposes.

1) Transferring old cine/video material from VHS tapes

2) Archiving some stuff from Tivo.

Looking at all the comments here it would appear that Philips and Pana offer some basic models that would probably fit the bill. Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of given the purposes listed above. I won't be using for time shifting - I'll continue to use the Tivo for that.

I want to burn to DVD-R/+R so DVD-RAM and it's time shifting capabilities are not that important nor is and DVD +/- RW

Well I don't think so anyway.

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you are not too strict on your requirements,a Panasonic or Philips will do the job,although a machine with HDD built in will make any editing and multiple copying very easy.Only DVD- currently offer HDD also

3. JNLister

JNLister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic is very popular for archiving videos because of the Flexible Record feature - you can type in exactly how long the thing you are copying is and it will adjust the quality to exactly fill the disc.

For example, a 2:05 film could fit exactly at just a fraction below the SP (2hr capacity) quality rather than have to do it at the much lower LP (4hr capacity) quality and leave a lot of wasted space.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To get the best quality possible when recording from TiVo you will need to get a DVD recorder that has RGB input. Many don't!
    Also you will need to connect TiVo to the recorder via the TV output as TiVo's VCR output only outputs composite.
    For recording from a VCR none of this matters as it is all composite anyway unless you have an S-VHS VCR and then you will also need to make sure that the DVD recorder has an S-Video input to get the best possible quality from tape.

Mark.

5. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - specifically chosen a Panasonic because it has an RGB input. And thanks for the reminder about the Tivo output. Mine is currently going to a RGB to Component converter. Seems like I'll need another switching box. Does this stuff ever end ?