1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Plays Back at Double Speed on X-Box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I've created a photo slideshow DVD-R from the slideshow software Memories On TV (v2.14) using a LPCM soundtrack.

I used the TMPG option to do the encoding and have tried burning from within MOTV and from TMPGenc DVD Author.

It plays back fine on my DVD ROM, Pioneer 717 and Pan E100 DVD players but when I play it back on my X-Box (and my sister's) it plays at a faster speed sounding like a Helium inhalation!

It sounds like it's playing at the write speed (x2.3)

DVD-Rs authored in other software playback fine on the x-box but they have AC3 soundtracks. This is the first that I have done with LPCM.

Why does it playback OK on other players but fast on the x-box?

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Have you tried playing with the sample rates ? - Perhaps you have the PCM sampled at 96Khz whilist the Xbox may only read 48Khz ? If the Video and sound are staying in 'synch' as such - then I think this is all it can be ? (the other devices are probably downsampling your DVD to play it properly..)

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    The original wav files are sampled at 44KHz and there's nothing in the software's settings to do any further adustments regarding the audio, only a choice between LPCM and mpeg Audio.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

EDIT

I went for the mpeg audio option and it now plays fine.

Don't know why!

4. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Kevo,

Just for info :-

44(.1) KHz is not a 'legal' standard for DVD Audio - this is used for VCD and SVCD only.

The 'legal' sample rate for DVD is 48 Khz - MOST players will play 44.1 KHz sampled material if they play VCD/SVCD's ok (which most do) but as the XBox doesn't then this is why I thought this may be the problem.

If you want to get it working in PCM btw - then you can try resampling the wav files (to 48Khz) using free utilities such as besweet or shibatch (available from doom9.org) before you import them into your authoring package.

Anyway - glad to see it working now - however two channel MPEG Audio is also not a true DVD standard but most players seem to support it (again a SVCD cast off)...

Teeerex