Dvd-r players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ferris57, Apr 13, 2003.

1. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive been lookign around for a while for a good quality player (sub £200) that plays vcd and dvd-r well.

I have quite a few players and it is only the budget ones that seem to play dvd-r with no probs. Basically I want a decent quality dvd player (on par with the 220 or pioneer 350) which plays most if not all brands of dvd-r without a hitch (i.e 1. recognises it and 2. plays without freezing or jumping).

I have heard that the new panny models might be ok (although I cant find a review anywhere to find out what picture quality is like and wether or not they do indeed play dvd-r well).

Anyone have any thoughts on these, or other recomendations?

Im not interested in any supermarket cheapies or makes like yello or matsui.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Is there something wrong with the 220? I have the 210 and it plays all DVD-Rs that its thrown (these range from the official Panasonic ones to cheap Mirror ones). Have people been having trouble playing DVD-Rs on the 220?

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what DVDR do you have Ferris, was it you that recently sold an E30

Anyway if you have a RAM based DVDR then surely your best bet is to wait and see what the new Panny RAM players are like

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes Rasczak, I have heard of a lot of people having problems with the 220 when it comes to dvd-r. Pricier brands are ok, but the cheap stuff is a non no in it.

It was indeed my that sold my e30. I haven't actually bought a new writter yet. I was going to buy a hs2, but Ive decided to buy a new player, dvd writer for my pc and a tivo instead. Im looking at the pioneer a05 or panasonic dvd writer at the moment. So Im not to fused about a ram player now, but the panny models are meant to play dvd-r disks pretty well. I was concerned about pq though as I still haven't heard any reviews. It seems a nightmare to find a dvd player with good picture quality (good enough to use as main player) and good dvd-r playback!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I'm surprised - as I say I use the Toshiba 210 as my main DVD player (for both DVD-Video and DVD-Rs) and it works very well giving an excellent picture quality (on a 36" screen anyway).

Are you planning to use the PC to 'capture' video or are you planning to buy a new DVD Recorder as well as a DVD writer. If the former then the key is getting a good analogue to digital conversion. Over the years I have tried a number of solutions - products from Dazzle and Matrox for the most part and all produced the results I was after at the time after a 'period of tweaking'. However this was largely in my Video CD days and early DVD+RW days. However with DVD came a requirement for high PQ etc and so I opted for the set top box option to do the crucial analogue to digital conversion and now just use my PC for making menus, inserting chapters and burning the final DVD-R.

I'm not sure a PC only High Quality solution really exists at the moment (the lack of RGB for instance) but I could be a little out of touch on this.

6. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I've had no problems at all with DVD-R on my RA-82, it even plays the odd disc that I've burned on my PC that wont play on my E-30. Quality is great also. I would suspect that the new panny machines will be just as good.

Also where have you managed to find a TiVo? Great machine :smashin:

Paul

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    !!! THREAD HI-JACK ALERT !!!

Sorry ferris57, mind if I butt in?

Fuel Crusher, can you tell me if the RA-82 shares the same remote control codes as the DMR-E30?

I was going to buy one of the new Panny players that does play DVD-Ram disks but I'm concerned I'll be playing and stopping both boxes at the same time with a single remote!

Thanks

Dave

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not at all, on you go DaveP ;)

P.s Fuel crusher, I haven't got a tivo yet, but I will be trawling classifieds and ebay pretty soon.

As for archieving tv Rasczak, I've no real need for this now. Well until the hs3 comes out then I might be forced to buy another set top recorder :)

9. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Dave they do share the same codes but one of them, can't remember which has an option in the menus to use a second set of codes, I just haven't been arsed to figure it out yet.

Paul

10. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ferris, I must admit that since I've got my TiVo I hardly use my E-30 for recording from the telly, just archiving and er timeshifting rented dvds.. :D

11. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol, I'm hoping my pc dvd writer is even better at timesifting dvd's ;)

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the e30 has 3 remote control settings to avoid clashes such as this. However, Dave I would seriously consider waiting for the new batches of Panny RAM players