DVD-R or DVD+R?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Chonga, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Chonga

Chonga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to asked what was the best DVD medium to burn my Movies on.
    I haven't got a clue what the difference between a DVD-R or DVD+R is except for the price!

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

Some people would say DVD-R, some would say DVD+R .... I would say, whichever you choose.
    Compatability is not really an issue, as most DVD players will now happily play either format and you will not notice a difference between the two.
    I have used DVD+R for almost 2 years and they have worked in all the DVD players I have put them in, so I am very happy to continue using them.
    Please make sure you buy decent blank discs though, as this can be the main cause of discs failing or not playing in other machines.

Have fun!

3. Chonga

Chonga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Niburu. I've got Datawrite DVD-R 8x GreyTops which have all burnt OK so far. Just wondered if DVD+R improved the quality. Guess I wouldn't really spot any difference then. Cheers

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    There should be no difference in quality (picture or sound) between +R or -R the only difference tends to be the format that your burner can write to, but this is becoming redundent as most burner (on a PC at least) can write to both + & - disks and some even to -RAM.
    In theory there is a slight improvement in compatability of the recorded disks playing on standard DVD players with -R but this is now just about irrelavent with modern players capable of playing both -R & +R equaly. If in doubt about any players capability on replay then check out www.dvdrhelp.com to check.
    As has already been advised steer clear of the very cheap unbranded disks as these can cause a problem and it is often a good idea to burn at a lower speed than the burner is capable of to improve compatability.

Mark.