DVD-R Media/E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spooksman, May 4, 2004.

1. spooksman

spooksman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a bit of a noobie question, so be gentle with me...

I have just bought a shiney new Panny E55 to archive stuff off my Sky+ box. It is a great piece of kit, but I have a question on DVD-R compatibility and other players...

I have a DVD-R recorder in my PC, and have created DVD-R (videos) on Packard-Bell media on here before - they play happily in all the DVD players in my house (XBOX, PS2, LG Player etc).

When I create DVD-Rs out of the E55, they play fine in the PS2 (which was the important bit!), but not in the old LG player or my XBOX. The 'top menu' shows fine, just not the actual movie!

These have been recorded on datasafe media (RITEKG..04 dye). Is this down to the media or the way the E55 creates the DVD?

Any adviceappreciated.

2. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have you "finalised" the disk?

3. spooksman

spooksman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - as I said, it plays fine in the PS2...

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It could be either mate. Dvds made in a standalone are less compatible than those done in a pc dvdr drive. But like wise it could just as easily be that the x-box and older player don't like the ritek dye (although it's one of the more compatible ones).

Trial and error I'm afraid.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Avoid Ritek like you would avoid the plague. On some panny machines they are a nightmare and stutter for England when re-played on certain players.

Try the Verbatim or Memorex type discs and of course others like TDK and Panny discs. Datasafe media is the worst disc type in my experience that you could choose for Panny machines. Some people get away with using them but I have no luck using them on my panny E20 and E30. Don't even get as far as recording let alone compatible playback on other players.

At the end of the day it will be suck it and see.......

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    just done my first disc on datawrite v2 and recording is fine ;)

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the v2 discs are Ritek dye the recording may be fine played on the machine type it was recorded on but!!! Have you checked the disc is now compatible when played on different brand players?? Stuttering and freezing being the usual problem with recordings made on Ritek dye discs and then played elseware. At least that is my experience and would not touch them with a one thousand foot barg pole

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    its a princo dye i think not ritek but i have tried to play the disc on my sony ns900 and it wont play,just says c13:00 but it plays fine on a pioneer 626 ??? what do you use as your dvd-r`s mate ???

9. spooksman

spooksman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback peeps

I have now recorded to about 3 or 4 different DVD-R's as well as talking to some really helpful guy at SVP.

The good news is that they all recorded fine on the E55, and they all played fine on the PS2 etc, bad news is that none of them play on the old LG DVD player in the kitchen!

I am told that if the player reads the top level menu OK (which is does), it is unlikely to be the dye - this usually exhibits jumping etc.

It seems to be that (as ferris said), the stand-alone player doesn't wriye such compatible discs as my PC.

I believe my next activity is a trip to Tesco for a real cheap DVD player for the kitchen!!

Thanks again

PS - When I said they play alright on the PS2, the only thing I can't do is fast forward - next chapter is fine, just FFWD!