1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R media and E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bk8, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've ordered some samples from SVP but I just wanted to know whether anyone has has any problems with specific media and an E95?

Or has anyone got any specific recommendations because there's just too many it's really confusing! I'm currently leaning towards these few:

{DV 3169} Verbatim (8x) DVD-R Disc in Spindle Tubs of 50
    ADVDINFO: MCC 02RG20

{DV 3121} Datawrite Grey (8x) DVD-R in Tubs of 25

{DV 3166} Ritek G05 "Full-Face Printable" A Grade (8x) DVD-R Disc in Packs of 50
    ADVDINFO: .RITEK G05

{DV 3138} Taiyo Yuden (8x) Unbranded DVD-R in Heavy Duty Spindle Tubs of 100

{DV 3188} Unbranded Ritek (G05 dye) 8x DVD-R in Packs of 100

Anyone had problems with them?

Thanks!

2. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After a little more reading I'm leaning heavily on the Taiyo Yuden which seems to be generally liked.

Is it better to get the inkjet printable disks even though I won't be printing on them? I thought they might be better for labelling with a cdr marker and the thicker surface might protect the top of the disk better.

3. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid Datawrite Yellow (v2) 4x. Many are 8x rejects (in my case 100 out of 125!!).

The record quality is very poor; Parity Inner Errors and Jitter are very high.

The recordings will probably be watchable for a month or two.

4. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info.

I also found a few negative comments about Datawrite Yellow and Red. Also found some people saying Ritek G04 was not reliable either.

Anyway for testing I already ordered 2 high speed sample packs and a pack of those pastel Verbatims which should arrive soon.

There are so many positive comments on the web about TY media. The only negative comment about TY DVD-R was that the regular silver one was just that and attracted a lot of marks and dust which was why I thought about the printable one.

That said if the samples check out I will probably go for Taiyo Yuden.

5. TL0

TL0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These ones are also worth a look at SVP:

{DV 3182} Pack of 5 Verbatim (8x) Pastel Coloured DVD-R (With excellent Taiyo Yuden dye)

Basically the same disc as the {DV 3138} Taiyo Yuden (8x) but you can buy them in smaller quantities.

They work fine in my E95 & Taiyo Yuden is about as good a disc manufacturer as you can buy anywhere, highly recommended.

I would avoid printable discs as writing on them can be a real pain, generally designed to be printed on only.

6. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I had 100% success rate with Datawrite reds v2 but a 100% failure rate with v3 of the same discs.

I also had 100% success rate with Datawrite yellow v2 4x but 100% failure rate with the 8x, which I assume are v1 as they're not marked with a version number.

With the rapidly-changing technologies in DVD blanks I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll be able to but anything that works in a few months' time. I haven't seen any firmware updates from Panasonic yet :(

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is bad news for me. :( I have only been recording on Datawrite Yellow 4x V2 on my E95. No problems writing/reading yet but all recordings are quite recent. I would hate it if they were not watchable in a few months time. How do I check the disks for Parity Inner Errors and Jitter? A PC I suppose... Which program?

8. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here's an update on how I got along. I tried some samples of the Taiyo Yuden silver DVD-Rs (DV3138 at SVP) from a friend who ordered a spindle. They burned without problems and played back fine on several other DVD players.

I think I will stick with Taiyo Yuden for now given their reputation. I just want a reliable media and can't be bothered with detailed testing. I found a lot of information about media at this forum which may be helpful to others too.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

9. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Disks are a very subjective subject as we all have our favourites...

I would not go past Ritek for 99% of devices and the G04 you did not like is a personal favourite - I would buy them every time, even though they are "old" now as they are 4 speed. Last time I bought they cost me £19 for 100.

It is worth downloading DVDInfoPRO - that utility will tell you lots about the media, inc if they are failed X speed or whatever... and tell you who the original manufacturer was.

Badging is rife in the media market - just look how many DVDs have overprinted labels for a start!

Have fun!

D

10. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Regarding Baj's post about the Datawrites, I'm not sure I understand how they could be fine today and not fine next week. Very early CDs had problems with dyes that would break down after a number of years but that's ancient history. The dyes in a modern DVD shouldn't break down for a very long time, if at all, so how would the discs only be watchable for a month or two? What would happen to make them suddenly become unwatchable?

Some discs have only a thin protective layer, so they can be scratched more easily than others, but even so if you don't scratch them you won't have problems. Is this what you were referring to?

Anyway as I said I've had 100% success rate with Datawrite yellow 4x v2, I just can't find them for sale any more!

If bk8 says that the Taiyo Yuden silvers work fine in the E95 then I'll order some of those.

Thanks

11. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My apologies for joining in this thread but can anyone tell me where I can buy the Taiyo Yuden DV 3138 in spindles of 25. I have tried SVP but they seem only to do them in packs of 5 and I am assuming that the larger pack would be slightly cheaper!

12. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The correctable errors (or PI) are so high that one finger print is enough to make the discs unplayable.

I use a PC and Plextools Professional software. DVDINFOPRO is also available.
    Both these software packages are only compatible with certain DVD readers.

Of the 175 ( yes one hundred and seventy five) Datawrite Yellow (V2) 4x discs that I tested/used, 75 were Ritek G04 dye and 4x speed and were 100% satisfactory; but 100 were Ritek G05 and 8x speed and all that I recorded onto, produced several failures. The ones that didn't fail had high values of PI (often approaching PI=280, which I have read is the maximum acceptable value. Using Sony discs and the G04 discs usually produces values below 100).

Around the central holes of my 175 discs there is printed in very small text a number:
    if this number begins with "H" then the discs are G04 at 4x and are good;
    if this number begins with "J" then the discs are G05 at 8x (though labelled 4x) and are pretty useless. They appear to be 8x rejects!!

13. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some test results:

First Picture: G05 Datawrite Yellow. Number begins with "J". High PI but playable for now:

Second Picture: G04 Datawrite Yellow. Number begins with "H". Low PI. Good recording:

Third Picture: Sony disc for comparison:

Attached Files:

14. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I have gone through about 25 datawrite yellow version 2 recently in my hs2 and PC, and all have worked perfectly, number begins with D though not H or J as talked about above.

15. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure which 5 packs you mean but I was referring to {DV 3138} Taiyo Yuden (8x) Unbranded DVD-R in Heavy Duty Spindle Tubs of 100 which are available at SVP (http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html)

These are supposed to be exactly the same disks as the printable DV3139 which is included in the high speed sample packs and which also tested well for me. However I was also able to try out more (about 10) of the plain DV3138 which are the ones I have ordered for myself.

I'm happy with my test results for the plain Taiyo Yudens and although I don't have a utility to analyse the burn results in detail I'm reasonably confident they won't disintegrate in a week!

That said as with any data backup it is sensible to count on something going wrong and take necessary precautions.

16. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Bk8, Very many thanks for your most helpful reply. I did have a job trying to find the discs on the SVP website but since your response I will persevere.