DVD-R....... jump in the dark

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zog, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Time may be right to finally invest in a DVD-R.

The main reason is gonna be as an archive dump from my Sky+. Machine of choice would appear to be the Panny EH50. I can edit stuff neatly and also achieve best library quality by optimising the recording quality relevant for the length of the prog and disc space.

A lot of reviews mention Philips intention to enable 5.1 recording on all their future machines. As I'm gonna tandem any machine with my Sky+ box, this would seem to be an almost "must have" feature.

So tell me people;
    1/ What is the expected starting price of the next gen Philips machines?
    2/ What features am I likely to lose by waiting for a Philips over a Panny?
    3/ When is a choice of these machines likely to become available?

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    1/ No idea. The relevant question is will the Philips machine really appear? In addition, no-one has any clue about the editing capabilities of this proposed machine.
    2/ 5.1 recording. Or you could always buy them both.
    3/ No idea.

The problem is you're wanting to base a decision on ephemeral marketing information. If you want to get going now then don't wait for Philips. They've cancelled plenty of launches before, strangely enough all around the 5.1 'enabled' machines. Even if they come to market, would you really want to buy without waiting at least 6 months for some reliability feedback?