dvd-r, dvd+r, dvdrw??? and which dv tape?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by kayak2sg, Aug 31, 2005.

1. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    can anyone suggest which 'kind' of dvd i should be dumping my footage on to, to make it affordable (for me to purchase blank media) but also widely acceptable for viewers to view?

one more, how critical is the type of dv tape used to capture my footage on?
    should i buy the cheapest tape i can find; panasonic dvc £1.60 and use only once or buy a more premium tape and perhaps use a couple of times.
    i have to say i'm leaning toward the cheap one!!! (yes i am a jock!).
    regards,
    2sg.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you have a single layer burner DVD-R probably has the highest legacy compatability with DVD players.

When purchasing DV tapes it is best to get a brand & stick to it as diferent manufacturers make wet tapes or dry tapes & if you mix them this can cause tape head problems.

The Panasonic DVC tapes should be fine & personally I only ever record on them once & keep all the original footage as captured (even after I have transfered to PC for editing & output as DVD etc)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    As vonhosen said, DVD-R have a very slight advantage over DVD+R, but TBH I doubt that the difference in compatability on standalone DVD players is going to be that big. Just use a good authoring program and burn at a fairly low speed. Fast burn speeds do tend to make the discs less compatable on a standalone player.

I always use Sony Premium DV tapes as several of these were supplied free with my camcorder and I have always followed the advice to stick to the same tapes. Some people dismiss this advice as they have never had problems with mixing tapes, but I would rather play it safe. You may get away with different makes as only a couple of companies actually make their own. Therefore you could buy a couple of makes and always end up with the same tapes, but this is not guarenteed.
    Also, like vonhosen, I always use my tapes only once and keep the origional recordings along with a DV tape backup of the edited footage. At under £3 per tape I see no reason to reuse them as being able to recover from a damaged DVD is more important to me than the cost of a tape.

Mark.

4. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much,
    i like the idea of using tapes once and keeping 'just incase'. but why is there such a diference in price between some tapes....what am i missing out on by buying a 'cheap' tape?

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High quality tape isn't as much of a pre-requisite as on anologue system because the signal is so robust.

Couple of pointers:

Only use Standard Play, you get more drop out on Long Play & Extended Play
    If you can afford it, use tapes once, I remember when they cost £25 each!
    Maxell do a data recovery service in the event that their tapes fail.
    I use Maxell tapes.