1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R Dual Layer Compatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    A disturbing article (based on info from HP) on CDR Info about the potential compatibility problems of 'DVD+R Dual Layer. Of patrticular concern:

The full article can be found here:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=9780

My first few DVD+R dual layer disks actually came through the post today - will burn some at the Weekend to see how they fair on my equipment. Perhaps we should have an ongoing thread where we can post compatibility for these disks so people know what kit to avoid/get?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    I have read the same thing on another website. They did find a way round it.

They used a DL writer to change DVD+R DL discs to DVD ROM (like commerical DVD's). This was used using bitsetting. Once, this was done a lot more DVD players played the disc.

Therefore, I will want bitsetting on any new DL writer. I have already used it to play DVD+R/DVD+RW's on my Panasonic Recorder.

3. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, do you know what Dual Layer DVD Writers have bitsetting options?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    I have a Ricoh dual format (they were one of the forst to do bitsetting). So, I am looking at Ricoh and see what they bring out.

NEC have Bitsetting on their dual format drives. They do a NEC 2510 which is dual layer. I also believe Liteon drives have bitsetting. Some drives can have bitsetting enabled by flashing the firmware.

5. Minx

Minx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Essentially all DL writers to date support bitsetting for DVD+R DL or always burn with DVD-ROM book type. The exceptions I know are Sony DRU-700A and LG GSA-4120B. For the Sony there is a patched firmware though and for the LG there is a leaked internal firmware which support this.

BTW watch out for Riteks DL media at the moment (such as Traxdata and Datasafe) as no drive manufacturers have included support for their media in the firmwares yet. This means that the drive will use a generic write strategy and the burn quality will most likely be horrible if you don't end up with a total coaster.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Finally got a DVD+R DL burnt - here are the results for those interested.

Last week I attempted to burn a 'Traxdata' DVD+R DL on an LG4120 using Firmware version A102 - it failed during lead in (creating a nice, expensive coaster!). Computer problems prevented me from doing anything else that weekend.

Accordingly I have been waiting for this weekend. I flashed the LG drive with the NOAD firmware following the instructions at:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9931&PageId=21
    This unofficial firmware adds DVD-ROM Booktype and improves compatibility with various media types (an official LG firmware upgrade is due soon).

Having no more Traxdata media I used a (cheaper) Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB disk for the project. Burner used was TMPG Encoder Author v1.6 Burning Tool. It worked flawlessly - it detected the disk, recognised burning speed of 2.4x and wrote the 7.8GB project (three episodes of a series recorded in FR93 on the Panny HS2) to the disk in 43mins 40secs.

I've test compatibility with as many units as I can although it's a totally random selection of my current/old DVD players, friends/nextdoor neighbours equipment and parents/nearby relatives

STANDALONES
    Arcam DV88 Played no problems
    JVC THRA75 Played no problems
    JVC HVS30 Played no problems
    Panasonic E55 Played no problems
    Panasonic HS2 Played no problems
    Philips DVDR1000 (original firmware) Played no problems
    Sony GX3 Initially played but had problems on second layer
    Toshiba 210 Failed to play the DVDR - disk error
    Toshiba 330 Failed to play the DVDR - disk error

DVD-ROMS
    Advent DVD-ROM (2002 series) Read no problems
    Creative Labs 1998 Model Wouldn't read/no disk access
    Dell Inspiron 8100 Would not read
    Dell Inspiron 8500 Read no problems
    LG4040 Wouldn't read/no access
    Panasonic DF310 Read no problems
    Samsung DVD-ROM Read no problems
    Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM Wouldn't read/no disk access

All in all I think the compatibility is quite encouraging! Obviously I don't begin to suggest these figures are in anyway representative of anything - it's early days for DVD+R DL and I'm sure compatibility will improve - perhaps we can use this as a running thread of what works and what doesn't?