1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R DL Finally Arrives

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    After lagging behind DVD+R DL the seventh DVDR format - DVD-R DL - is finally almost here:

It will be interesting to see how quickly Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer and Sony can integrate this into their set-top recorders.

Source:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=11975

2. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dual layers have been available for several months now with dual layer burners for PC's available for peanuts. The media itself is 2.5x and still rather EXPENSIVE! I have yet to see a stand alone DVD recorder with dual layer capability though.

The 4x is new though but 2.5x was able to be overspeeded to 4x anyway on some hacked firmwares with no noticeable or very slight degradation performance (See the cdfreaks.com forums for more on that).

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    I'm sure I read somewhere that dual layer burners have to put the same amount of data onto both layers for some reason. Won't this make it quite complicated and prone to error for stand alone recorders ?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    But only in the + format - the arrival of DVD minus R is new. I doubt it will bring anything new to the scene that DVD+R DL hasn't delivered already - but it will drive prices of both disc types down and give a dual layer option for set-top minus DVD recorders.

5. nadeem1970

nadeem1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just burnt my first duel layer disc, played back on pioneer dvd player, and ive noticed during the layer break, the film freezes, only way out of this is to goto the next chapter, any reasons why it does this? i used dvd shrink 3.2