DVD-R DL Finally Arrives

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
After lagging behind DVD+R DL the seventh DVDR format - DVD-R DL - is finally almost here:

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 7, 2005) – Verbatim Corporation announced today that it has begun shipping engineering samples of its new 4x DVD-R Dual Layer (DL) media to DVD burner manufacturers and their software suppliers for read/write and compatibility testing. Shipments for consumers will begin late in Q1 2005, after the official specification is finalized. The specification enables the new DL-compatible burners to write a complete 8.5GB Verbatim dual layer DVD-R disc in about 25 minutes.

Verbatim and its parent company, Mitsubishi® Kagaku Media (MKM), were among the first to confirm the technical feasibility of 4x speed recording of dual layer DVD-R media. To ensure high performance without sacrificing reliability or compatibility, Verbatim and MKM developed unique dye materials and coating techniques, as well as manufacturing techniques for stamping the grooves into the media that guide the write and read processes. Broad compatibility is maintained by using a thin layer silver alloy that serves as a reflector in the upper layer. The technologies developed by Verbatim/MKM allow the laser beam to pass through the first layer and the reflective layers to write to the second layer. The result is consistently reliable write/read performance for each layer.

By offering two recording layers, Verbatim’s new 4x DVD-R DL discs provide a capacity increase of about 80 percent, compared to the 4.7GB DVD-R media. With the higher capacity, consumers will be able to store up to 4 hours of DVD-quality video (16 hours of VHS-quality video) or 8.5GB of data on a single side while maintaining compatibility with the majority of today’s DVD players, recorders, drives and burners.

Availability
Backed by a limited lifetime warranty, Verbatim 4x DVD-R DL media will be available through leading retailers, Internet resellers and distributors across the country late in Q1 2005.
It will be interesting to see how quickly Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer and Sony can integrate this into their set-top recorders.

Source:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=11975

The dual layers have been available for several months now with dual layer burners for PC's available for peanuts. The media itself is 2.5x and still rather EXPENSIVE! I have yet to see a stand alone DVD recorder with dual layer capability though.

The 4x is new though but 2.5x was able to be overspeeded to 4x anyway on some hacked firmwares with no noticeable or very slight degradation performance (See the cdfreaks.com forums for more on that).

I'm sure I read somewhere that dual layer burners have to put the same amount of data onto both layers for some reason. Won't this make it quite complicated and prone to error for stand alone recorders ?

The dual layers have been available for several months now
But only in the + format - the arrival of DVD minus R is new. I doubt it will bring anything new to the scene that DVD+R DL hasn't delivered already - but it will drive prices of both disc types down and give a dual layer option for set-top minus DVD recorders.

just burnt my first duel layer disc, played back on pioneer dvd player, and ive noticed during the layer break, the film freezes, only way out of this is to goto the next chapter, any reasons why it does this? i used dvd shrink 3.2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom