DVD-R compatibility problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeBlackburn, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MikeBlackburn

MikeBlackburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Panasonic DVD recorder that can record onto DVD-RAM or DVD-R.

I'm aware of the compatibility issues surrounding DVD-RAM but I thought if I recorded onto DVD-R I wouldn't have a problem.

However, when I try to watch stuff I've recorded (on DVD-R) on other vendors machines they don't seem to be able to read the disks.

The only thing I could think of is that the Panasonic allows different recording times e.g. SP, LP, EP.

Should I ony record at a particular "speed" to ensure compatibility or is there some other problem.

I've tried watching on a Sony machine, Yamaha and cheap MICO none of them work. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Unlikely to be a "speed" issue. Bit rate impacts quality, but not the ability to play.

Did you finalise the disc?

What model Panasonic do you have?

Mark

3. MikeBlackburn

MikeBlackburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.
    The machine I've got is the DMRE75VEBS which is a combi VCR and DVR recorder.

I'm not sure if I've finalised the disk, wouldn't it do that automatically?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Not neccessarily... I'm not familiar with your machine and can't find an online manual for it. If for instance you wanted to record 2 separate recordings on to the DVD-R, you'd record one, then the other, then finalise at the end.

If it doesn't play on any players you've tried, most likely it isn't finalised. I'd check the manual first and see if you can find anything on finalising discs.

Mark

5. MikeBlackburn

MikeBlackburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice I'll have a look this evening - probably serves me right for not reading the manual properly.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No problem.... the Panny E55 has a separate "Fiinalize" procedure for DVD-R; there will be something similar with yours.
    Mark