1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Burning

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by higenbs1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have recently downloaded a BitTorrent for some live gigs (distributed with the bands permission). I now have a folder on my hard drive which contains various Video-TS files and vob files.

To transfer this to DVD-R to play in a standard DVD player, is it a case of dragging and dropping the folder onto the DVD-R. If so, do I need to transfer the individual files, or can they stay within the folder.

Or do I have to use DVD Burning software to close the disc to make it suitable? I haven't got Nero, but there is some basic DVD Burning software provided with my PC that allows me to backup files to DVD-R. Presumably this software would write the files, and then close the disc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've just shelled out some cash for some DVD-Rs, and the last thing I want to do is render them all useless.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    To transfer these to DVD-R your going to need to import them into a DVD authoring programme (such as TMPG Encoder) unless all the files came from a single VIDEO_TS folder. You can then burn them to DVD: your already installed programme MAY do the job (difficult to say as you didn't tell us the name of the software!) but you'd probably be better off using a programme like Nero which has DVD-Video wizards.

If you just want to do this one project then you should be able to use free, time-limited demos of the software thus enabling you to burn these DVD-Rs without cost.

3. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just to add a bit more info on the previous post - if you just have the VOBS but no IFO files, then you can recreate the IFO's and VIDEO_TS (required to play the DVD) by using a utility called IFOEDIT available at doom9.org (freeware)

Once you have the files VTS_01_x.VOB, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO then you can use Nero etc to burn.

I suggest playing the 'DVD' with a software player first before burning to make sure it all works as expected before potentially wasting a DVD-R...

4. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that. In the meantime, I have downloaded a demo copy of Nero from their website, but it keeps failing when I try and burn (two minor errors and then one major one) - could it be I need to update my firmware for the DVD-RW drive, as it looks like it's dated July 01

The software I was using was Sonic RecordNow, but it appears it was failing for the same reason.

Strangly CD burning works fine.

5. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    what is the error from Nero etc ?

Unlikely it's your drive firmware - more then likely it's the media ....

6. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

It says

"DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD etc" and

"A non-critical error occurred during the operation which may result in a defective write etc"

Clicked okay and then it says burn process failed at (whatever the speed is).

7. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    That confirms what I thought - essentially the correct files are not there to play the DVD. Nero checks to see if they are present and correct first (calling it re-allocation) and then burns.

Ok - lets assume you have downloaded just the vob files.

You have VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and so on ...

You do not have any IFO or BUP files - you also do not have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file.

Load IFOEDIT - click the 'create IFO' button down the bottom, tell it where your VOB's are - and it will do the rest. Specify the same directory as your original VOB's.

Then drag ALL the above files into Nero DVD Wizard and burn ...

TeeeRex

8. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think that I've already got all the IFO and BUP files in the same folder as the vob files. The files will run correctly in WinDVD. So I'm selecting all the files (vob, bup and ifo) and trying to burn.

Are you saying I should allow Nero to create the IFO and BUP files by only transferring the vob files

9. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    no - I thought you didn't have the IFO files etc - if Nero is complaining then there is 'something' wrong with the navigation files.

When you run winDVD - are you playing the individual VOB files - or playing it as a proper DVD (ie playing VIDEO_TS first ?)

My recommendation would be to move all the files except the VTS_01_X.VOB files somewhere else and recreate them using IFOEDIT - it has never failed me once and I've used it lots of times...

10. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have played both the individual vob files and the whole VIDEO_TS folder in WinDVD, and both work as expected. The IFO and BUP files came with the download, and so should be correct. Will try recreating them using IFOEDIT

I read somewhere on another website that it could be a firmware update to take into account new manufacturers DVD-R's. But it then says update these at your own risk, which doesn't inspire me with confidence. Might give this a go