1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R brand for use with Denon 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tobytronic, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody had success with DVD-r and the new denon 2910. I have tried my usual brand the 'BULKPAQ Orange 4x with little success.

Any thoughts??

2. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Not tried on Denon players but Datawrite Yellow's i use work fine on Tosh,Samsung,PSX,X-box and one of those WH Smith £40 machines.

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    on my Denon 1910. Not sure if internal drive lasers are the same though ?

:thumbsup:

4. Spiny

Spiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try DVD+R's, I've had much better success with these in stand alone players (Sony, Tosh)

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Bulkpaq 4x Orange are fine on my 3910. What player are you using to burn with as personal experience suggests this can be an issue.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Piodata 8x white top (inkjet printable) work perfectly in my 3910s. I get them locally for £35 per 100. They use Ritek G05 dye.
    The equivalent 4x G04 dye discs played fine until about an hour into a film when it started stuttering and breaking up.

7. JJblue

JJblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got a £500+ player and your using super crap dvd's :suicide: , try some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. :thumbsup:

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you're referring to me, Why? They work perfectly. I've got loads of Verbatims here and they copy/play no differently to the Piodata's. Why pay extra for something that does nothing better. Sorry mate, it's me that's :confused: by your comments. :D

9. JJblue

JJblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was refering to the starter post, Bulkpaq are awful discs, the Ritek dyes are very good. Two different discs may burn and play the same but there's also longevity/deterioration/compatibility issues, so there can be many good reasons to pay extra.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    OK :blush: thanks for the clarification.

11. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having trouble with DVD-R disks on my 2910. I have been using Ritek G04 disks for quite a while and not really had any problems with my old Toshiba. I watched Secret Window yesterday on a Ritek G04 disk and the picture began to break up after an hour or so. I have just finished watching Star Trek Nemesis on a similar disk and had the same problem. Fortunately both disks played fine on my Pioneer recorder but I am not too happy about the Denon's poor performance. Strangely though I have Nemesis playing on the Denon whilst I am typing this having started it from an hour in to the movie and it has played past the point that it started blocking with no problem. I believe there has been some suggestion that a heat build up may affect the Denon. The player is located on the second shelf of a Stands Unique AV10 stand with no doors and a reasonable amount of clearance although less than the recommended 10cm all round :rolleyes: and doesn't appear to get too hot but that is the only reason I can think of.

12. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Received my 2910 yesterday and had massive problems reading DVD-R that read without a problem on other players.

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, they are fussy as mentioned several times in this thread and others. Find a disc that works though and they are stunning.

No excuse though and, despite owning 2 3910's, it is appalling that Denon cannot get their act together.

14. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just coming back to this post after starting it a week ago. It appears that the old fave verbatim may be the way to go and yes it is penny pinching using cheap discs but it was some mini DV stuff i wanted to review that was already on DVD. The riteks also seem popular but i've got about 60 of the bulkpaqs here so i'll swap them with a mate maybe.

I'm using a SONY DVD dvd recorer DRU510A that does + and - if that assistanyone with advice

Any more thoughts

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I had a Sony DRU510A and ended up changing it for an NEC as my 3910 did not like discs burned using the Sony. Not had any problems since changing to an NEC writer.

16. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Using Datawrite yellows (Ritek G04 dye)on my 2910 with no problems so far

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have to agree with Messiah - I have a Sony and the NEC. Using -R disks on the Sony drive can be a little hit or miss with getting them to read on another drive (even itself!)

However - The NEC drives certainly give you better compatiablity than the Sony (or even Pioneer). I use the Bulkpaq 4x and 8x and they work FINE in the Denon 3910 when using the NEC drive to write with.

I know that the Bulkpaq has been called cheap (and at £16+Vat per 100 they are) but if you use the right drive to write to, then you tend not to have any issues with the media. (I feel like I'm inviting criticism now!!)

If you MUST use the Sony, then get DVD+R as you will notice a better compatiability with players in general.