DVD-R blanks for DMR-E20

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ekko Star, May 6, 2002.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    In the quest for finding cheap media for the DMR- E20.

Have tried some unbranded DVD-R's recently which are not particularly good. >50% fail rate, the recorder occasionally even locks up as well. The ones that have recorded have compatibility problems with other players.

Tried what I think were Princo unbranded and they worked well and were also compatible with a lot more players. They were quite good.

Trying the Princo branded ones at the moment to see if they are alright.

Are there any other cheap brands recommended that work well with the DMR-E20 and players ?

Info on this subject would be greatfully appreciated as trial and error soon becomes quite an expensive exercise !

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Princo un-branded and had a 40% failure rate. I then tried Princo Branded and so far I have had no problems writing or reading.

I have to say that I am V impressed with the quality of the recordings at the highest quality level. Far better than my Tivo!

DaveP

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ekko Star

As you have probably seen I posted about the fact I have tried the cheap datasafe brand which I am told are Princo and they failed on the E20 even though the supplier had tests that were positive on the E20. I too had the machine lock up temporarily.

This ability to lock up worries me! and is preventing me from risking playing about with cheap media.

Do you know if the E20 has an ability to get "trapped" media to eject without resorting to a sevice engineer. regards. Malcom.

4. lbeck

lbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, have had problems with the cheap media. I contacted the mfgr of the media at cdrecordable-dot-com and asked specifically if they were compatible with the E-20. Their email claimed that they should be, so I ordered a few. Tried them last weekend and 2 of the 3 I received didn't work, so I didn't waste my time on the 3rd. I got a recommendation from a fellow with the internet name of videocollektor as follows (regarding the aforementioned media):

Hi.......Ugh! I had terrible experiences with their disks. Americal. com is
    cheaper and MUCH better in my opinion (only 3 problem disks so far out of
    over 1000, compared to Americal which was running at almost a 15% failure
    rate, believe it or not!)

The Americal site lists several DVD-Rs that they claim will work in the E20. I've emailed videocollektor for clarification of the one(s) he recommends, and plan to try some. I've been using my E20 for aonly a couple of weeks so far. The Panasonic disks work fine, but I have a lot of stuff that I want to archive, and the P* disks are expensive at more than $10 each locally. I'll continue to check this site for recommendations and will post my results as I get them.

BTW, I'm a litle disappointed also that the E20 gives so little feedback on what happens during a failure. I've had the machine totally cut off (go to standby mode) several times while using the cheap disks. Once after a disk appeared to record flawlessly fro about 5 hours. I was trying to squeeze another few minutes onto the disk. The E20 shut down and now won't finalize the disk. No indication from the unit or the Owners Manual what may have happened. I'm just assuming that it was the disk.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi lbeck

It pays not to squeeze the last minute as you say because I believe DVD-R discs can be over filled and cause them to fail.
    I always record a couple of minutes short of the 2 hour.

If I am using the FR mode I add about three minutes longer than I need and try to be there just as the recording programm ends so I can shut the machine down manually and avoid a possible overun and failed disc.

All of the above may not strictly be neccessary but as the discs are so expensive I like to play safe!

Perhaps you could find a supplier of verbatim discs. Here in the UK I use the verbatim at £4-40 (Works out £5 after postage is taken into account). I have so far not had any problems with them
    Note: £5 in the UK would probably mean $5 in the States as the UK dealers don't seem to have heard of exchange rates :) :)

6. lbeck

lbeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Malcom. Your points are well taken. I'll look for the Verbatim disks. I've seen other Verbatim media (floppies, CD-Rs etc) on the U.S. shelves so maybe I can find a local supplier.

As a point of clarification: Have you actually had your machine shut down or fail to finalize a DVD-R that was close to capacity, or have you just become paranoid (as I'm becoming) about pushing the capacity. I'm still trying to correlate situations with solutions. I've been thinking that my primary problem was inferior media, and that if I were using Panasonic disks, maybe I could fill to the last minute.

As you say, it's not worth wasting 5.5 hours for a couple of additional minutes, but it would be good to know if it's a real or perceived problem (if top-grade DVD-Rs are used).

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Just an update and a bit of research

The cheapo brand I bought from Refresh computers, unbranded £1.40 each they were. Best to stay clear of them, they are toilet.

>50% fail rate and will not work on many other players including some Panasonics.

Some did record but very often the machine locks up, whether or not it's close to capacity on the disk. I even had it lock whilst trying to title or finalise disks. This has to be down to the disk itself and NOT the machine.

Best way to get out the trapped disk, is to hold down the standby button for > 10secs, machine resets itself. It then tries reading the disk but if you press open, it will release the drawer after about a minute. Do not go into a mad panic and keep pressing the button as then you maybe instructing the machine to close the drawer etc etc

I have also tried Princo now and not had one single fail. The branded white faced ones worked perfect and they played on Sony players as well. Impressive for the price.

The unbranded princo's marked "P5103521980302" also worked perfect, no failures whatsoever and also worked in all other players tested. I think these are the 2nd generation ones. The 1st Gen Princos are the ones people had trouble with, so stay clear of those.

I had the machine recording perfectly non-stop for over 12hrs yesterday so overheating was not an issue at all.

I have been told the brand that has the least problems is FWS. This has excellent compatibility inc PS2 so I've been told. I will be trying some of these for myself very shortly and will post to let you know how I got on. But I have been told they are very good.

3rd Gen disks have come out and I have also been told these are also non problematic with the DMR and players.

Generally though if you make sure the disk is a 2nd generation Princo, or an FWS you will be OK.

Considering they only go for around £2' ish a shot from here I can't really complain

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/
    http://www.cdr-by-mail.co.uk/acatalog/CDR_By_Mail_DVD_R_21.html

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    @ Malcolm

Don't worry about the machine "locking up", it's only trying to read the disc and trying to make sense of it. It just keeps trying and trying and if it fails to read it "U11" will eventually appear on the front panel.

I can't see this process damaging the machine itself in anyway as there is no contact between the disk and the laser.

You may find this happens to good quality original dvd's as well that have a surface scratch or a grease mark. It's just one of those things.

Don't worry once you find sensibly priced good quality media you will be fine.

9. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    lbeck

I haven't had a disc fail when near to capacity. I always leave about 2 minutes unused as I do know of someone that reported a failed disc due to letting the recorder just run until the disc was full (He forgot to stop the recording when program was finished).

I know with cheap CDs I have had to under use the space in order to reduce the number of discs ending up as coasters and it works for me. So I think it can be a real problem but depending on the quality control of the disc. Malcom.

10. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ekko Star

Thank's for that re-assurance. By the way I believe the datasafe come what Princo discs that failed in my E20 were 2nd gen as I had a talk with the supplier who said the problem with Princo had been resolved. They worked OK on the E20 machines that he had tested the 2nd gen Princo discs on. But alas they did not work on my unit. Malcom.

11. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best ever 'cheap' disks I've used are apple media. Currently going for £17 + vat and shipping for a 5 pack. Order for £200 or over and they work out at £4/each as shipping is then free.

www.apple.com/ukstore