1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Quality/performance: 6600GT vs 6800/6800GT?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tjobbins, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm building my first HTPC, and need to choose my graphics card.

I will be driving a Sony HS50 projector via VGA or HDMI, onto a 84" screen. I want to watch DVDs with the maximum possible quality - which I gather means using Theatretek or maybe Zoom Player, running FFDShow to sharpen/denoise the image.

Currently my PC is an Athlon 2600XP with 512mb DDR333 ram, tho I am prepared for the fact that I might need to upgrade to a AMD64 to get enough CPU to use FFDShow at max resolution etc.

I will play games occasionally so at first glance I felt that a 6800 or 6800GT would be best, probably with 256mb ram to give some future proofing. But I've read a few comments on here and elsewhere stating that the 6600 has better video processing and thus might be better for DVD playback.

Was wondering if anyone could elaborate on what these differences might be and give a recommendation on the best card for me?

Thanks!

Tom

PS. I guess I could also consider an ATI card of some sort, but I've always used NVidia, and as I gather they offer at least as good quality as ATI, I see no reason to switch.

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Current crop of 6800 Cards have a faulty Chip which means video playback is not as good as on the 6600 card as the chip used on those cards was fixed

You will find comparisons on the net the 6600 uses about 25% less CPU power than the 6800 cards on some video standards i think its mainly Windows Media Video 9

There was talk of nvidia re releasing the 6800 with problems resolved but not sure on that

I have the 6600GT and video playback especially on HD material is superb!!

Heres The Link

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305&p=11

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To be precise, a 6800's WMV hardware decoding is broken, there is nothing wrong with PQ and no difference between the NV40 and NV43 chips apart from that. The lack of hardware WMV support is only an issue if you don't have the CPU power to do it in software.

That Anandtech artcile clearly explain this problem.

HD plays back perfectly on a 6800 in my experience. :)

Note also that the 'PureVideo' feature recently activated in the 67.02 drivers works equally well on either chipset.

The choice is down to how much power you need for other things, for an HTPC a 6600 is fine and not shabby for gaming either, for heavy gaming use a 6800GT is the better option, the minor issue of WMV acceleration aside.

Note that as far as WMV/MPEG ENcoding is concerned, alluded in the Anadantech article, no software exists to use this feature yet, anVidia have said this will first be seen for MCE2005, so a buying decision based on that 'feature' is unwise.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The word "Broken" is not the word you wanna hear when paying £300 for a graphics card regardless of which part it is or what it means

And when playing back WMV Media NOW you get considerably less CPU activity on the 6600 than you do on the 6800GT/Ultra now whether that matters to you or not its still not good for a card costing over £150 more

5. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Precisely what else are you doing whilst watching your movies? Even with a 6600GT, no self respecting HCPC owner would try 3D-rendering Toy Story on their machine whilst watching it in HD on their Projector.

The hysteria surrounding the broken WMV9 acceleration is just that, and when you compare 3D performance, and the fact that you can get 6800's for considerably less than £300 - the 6800 is an excellent card well worth the cash.