1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD quality on LCDs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by codfather, Sep 13, 2004.

1. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently received my Samsung LW26A33XW. I'm very impressed with the pc input - excellent clarity and sound.

However, I'm slightly less impressed with the quality of the DVD. In certain parts of a movie, it's pretty crisp but in other areas it looks slightly pixelated. Is this LCDs in general, my LCD, my DVD player, the cables I'm using. I have simply no idea.

I'm using a Toshiba 220E with a gold plated scart cable. Should I get a component video cable, or a DVI compatible DVD player, or would this make no difference?

Thanks,
    Kerry

2. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's because an lcd screen is of a much higher resolution than a normal tv so it will show any faults in the source you are watching. Even a DVD will have some artefacting due to compression and this can be displayed as pixelation.

Found this out when i got my 30inch lcd :(

3. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you get the new samsung 945 dvd player when it comes out in a couple of weeks - This will be able to produce(fake) high def images which your LCD and will be able to take advantage of with its hdmi/dvi input. Im going to get the 32" model with this dvd player. Or if you want a dvd player with 720p output NOW (to watch star wars dvd's on?) i reckon the samsung 935 is the one to go for.. Let us know what the preformace is like with this combination if you get it. regards

4. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, by the way, in my opinion if you switch off the noise reduction and other digital trickery it looks a lot better

5. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is great, thanks. I noticed there is also a Samsung 745 already out, but I guess this isn't high definition right? Any reviews on the 945?

Also, what about sky / cable - is this also lower definition?

Thanks,
    Kerry

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Sky/Cable will be 576i (576 lines interlaced) which is lower definition, it's standard PAL. As the image is compressed moreso than DVDs, it will look worse.

7. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no reviews on the 945 although the 941 is out now in the us(which is the same model), so if you google around you will probably find something out there over the next week or so,. Just thought i would mention that i dont believe that the dvd player will output 720p for pal discs, which is no problem if you have a collection of ntsc(480 lines) discs. Although you will still get better pictures but not the 'hi-def' see review of 935 for an idea of what it can produce. cheers...
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4025

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm confused, would you need 720p for PAL, considering the vertical resolution on PAL discs is only 576 pixels? Surely 576p would work better.

9. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Yes. Me too.

I suspect that a HTPC is needed to get the best out of this panel. My PC with TV card is a bit on the noisy side, so I'll be trying to build a quiet one soon.

What I don't like is the lack of control over the picture mode (sorry to sound like a stuck record if you've already read my other whinges). All those wide and zoom modes, but nothing that shows 16:9 letterboxed from my STB.

How does the screen scale the image from your DVD player? Is it cropped to 15:9? I still don't know how a DVI-enabled player would display. If the player and the screen are both scaling the image, what is the net result?

BTW, another player which seems to be well liked is the Yamakawa (365 and 375) which I think can be bought in Germany.

10. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Hurrah!
    I'm not a new member anymore.
    That's got to be worth a drink...

11. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see any cropping using my Toshiba DVD player and leaving it on the default settings. I've compared it to my old widecreen Philips CRT.

K

12. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    The screen is 15:9, so if there is no letterboxing any 16:9 image must be squashed or cropped. I know that it crops the DVB broadcast because I compared with a PC with Nova-T DVB card. Do you get letterboxing with the DVD player?

13. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I don't, so I guess you must be right. If there is a difference between this and my CRT it is only tiny because I couldn't tell the difference, so I'm not at all bothered by it.

Getting back to pixelation, are other LCD screens better at displaying DVDs? Do they other different software rendering to correct this problem, that is better than the Samsung?

K

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't forget that your CRT will probably have quite a bit of overscan so you won't have been seeing the fullest possible picture anyway (unless you reduced overscan to 0 in our sets service menu)