1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Quality, grain etc?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by one_jedi, Jul 9, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in both this forum and the DVD Players and Recorders forum as i'm not sure which one it suited best but I think it fits in both forums well.

I think it must be me but DVD isn't as good as it used to be. I think the step-up from normal video and TV made dvd look prefect at first. Now don't get me wrong the playback on my DVD players is amazing but I am not starting to notice the grain ect, lthougth i'm always picky and notice most things.

I was watching Eight Legged Freaks yesterday and I noticed a lot of 'grain' Don't know if grain is the proper word for it but it's the only word I can think of. Even on excellent transfers I notice a certain amount of 'grain'.

Is this to do with the original film master, the encoding or the DVD player itself? It might be because I have a 24" widescreen TV in my room and only sit anywhere from 1.5 to a max of 3 meter's away so being quite close I notice it more. The funny thing is I was watching a Cowboy Bebop DVD (it's a region 1 anime, great art and a great transfer, fullscreen) yet when watching this I didn't notice any grain as such? I don't know if this is to do with the nature of animation and the vibrant colours?

Anyway can anyone explain this? Is this just to do with the nature of the MPEG 2 technology, the original film transfer, the encoding or the DVD player itself? Do the more expensive models get rid of this?

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Although some problems are caused by players, the majority is caused by poor transfers and bad encoding. I have noticed that certain disc manufacturers are just being lazy with their products and skimping on the transfer. When done correctly, DVD picture performance can be awesome.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your sharpness setting might be set too high on your display.

4. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be tho it's not particulary high?

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, try experimenting :) Get a DVD that has a reference quality transfer, like Monsters Inc, Jackie Brown CE or something like that. Then turn the sharpness all the way down and increase it as high as you can without causing 'ringing' in the image. Or you can use some calibration test patterns to help you (newer THX Optimodes have these, or you can use Avia or Ultimate DVD Platinum if you have them).

I watched a DVD last night ("Mystery Men" Reg 4) that all the reviews said had a superb transfer with no signs of edge enhancement, but I thought the transfer was nothing like the reviewers said. Very grainy with slightly too much compression and clear edge enhancement. So bear in mind that some reviewers are blind, plus some reviews of DVDs were written a while ago and the 'standard' has increased since then as transfers have improved.

6. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just tested Eight Legged Freaks on two other DVD players. One was about a £100 quird player on a sony flatscreen widescreen TV and the other was on a Playstation 2 conected to an old 21" inch TV. The grain was very obvious here especially on the large sony TV. Now I admit a playstation 2 on an old TV isn't the best set up but it was still there.

I had a look at the latest bond dvd (whatever the new one is called) on my DVD player (new Pioneer DV-360) and althogth no where near as bad as Eight Legged freaks, if you look for it it's there, although if you were sitting a distance away like most people do in thier front room you would be hard pushed to notice it.

I've also read some other threads about it and some people call it 'snow'. It just seems strange that this is not mentioned much, I know the Matrix is know to be a grainy transfer and has been mentioned before tho.

Aslo It doesn't appear to effect any of the menu's on the DVD's?

Maybe i'm just being to picky and notice hings to much that other people are not bothered about but I was just interested to see if this was the DVD's themsleves which seems likely. I just wanted to see what people know about this, as it is never mentioned in reviews. I suppose if you were using a projectore or rear projection TV you might not notice this because the picture is not as sharp.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you talking about 'noise' rather than grain. Low level noise is most noticable on large areas of one colour (sky is often the worst offender), when the colour does not look solid and movement is apparent.

8. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is mainly grain, maybe with a nit of noise with it. Like I said on Cowboy Bebop (animation) I get none of the grain. I think it's just that Eight Legged freaks is a very grainy transfer that is the main problem.

9. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K. call me thick but can someone tell me what "edge enhancement" actually means. Ta

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically a way of increasing detail (but it doesn't)

It creates a halo effect around objects, normally very obvious on light backgrounds & dark objects.. checkout Battle of Britain R1, when the planes fly overhead..

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    See here for a nice simple explaination :)

12. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actuall used the THX optimize on my Episode II dvd and most my settings were fine, the only thign I changed was the bnrightned down from 52 to 50. Will watch some movie to dee if there is any improvement.

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The worst transfer ive ever seen is 'ambush'
    a finish produced film.

the quality is so poor................

Shame as its a great film though.