1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD quality, grain etc.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by one_jedi, Jul 9, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in this forum and the DVD talk forum as i'm not sure where it supposed to go and I think it really fit's in with both.

I think it must be me but DVD isn't as good as it used to be. I think the step-up from normal video and TV made dvd look prefect at first. Now don't get me wrong the playback on my DVD players is amazing but I am not starting to notice the grain ect, lthougth i'm always picky and notice most things.

I was watching Eight Legged Freaks yesterday and I noticed a lot of 'grain' Don't know if grain is the proper word for it but it's the only word I can think of. Even on excellent transfers I notice a certain amount of 'grain'.

Is this to do with the original film master, the encoding or the DVD player itself? It might be because I have a 24" widescreen TV in my room and only sit anywhere from 1.5 to a max of 3 meter's away so being quite close I notice it more. The funny thing is I was watching a Cowboy Bebop DVD (it's a region 1 anime, great art and a great transfer, fullscreen) yet when watching this I didn't notice any grain as such? I don't know if this is to do with the nature of animation and the vibrant colours?

Anyway can anyone explain this? Is this just to do with the nature of the MPEG 2 technology, the original film transfer, the encoding or the DVD player itself? Do the more expensive models get rid of this?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A lot of factors will contribute to this, many of which you have mentioned. Animation however will show up a lot less (why do you think Plasma displays in shops are always playing Monster's Inc & Toy Story).

Certain films like Minority Report have this purposely.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The grain is usually on the master print - it varys from film to film but generally the older the film is, the longer the print has been hanging around and the more grain. With recent films, I find that lower budget films tend to have more grain than higher budget ones - it also has a lot to do with the transfer process and how much money was spent on transferring the film to DVD. When they put the effort in they are a lot better at transferring films to DVD than they used to be - compare the original Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition and the new Extreme version, the UE has visible grain but the newer Extreme version does not due to them doing a much better job on transferring the film to DVD (with new equipment etc). Films shot digitally such as Starwars Episode 2 and computer rendered movies don't have grain to start with. It's all about money at the end of the day - more money spent on it, better picture.