DVD quality (from EX-75) notably worse when played on PC

fooquency

Novice Member
I have been digitising some VHS tapes onto my Panasonic DMR-EX75, and then copying them to DVD, with a view to converting the DVD losslessly onto my PC.

However, very unexpectedly, playing the resulting DVD+RW on my PC's DVD appears notably more grainy compared to being played on the EX-75 DVD player (where the quality matches the original Hard Disk recording).

The screenshot below shows the difference.

I cannot think why this should be happening. (I'm a fairly technical person!)

Can anyone give any clues on what might be happening here? I would be most grateful for any thoughts! I'm wanting to do a once-and-for-all VHS conversion, so don't want to lose the quality in this way.

Full detail below (below screenshot).

Example screenshot showing difference:

On the left, is the PC directly reading a file copied from the DVD. It is the same quality as if playing the DVD directly. Note the grainyness and more washed-out colour.

On the right is the monitor from the EX-75 playing the DVD. Note the warmth of the picture and lack of artefacts. E.g. compare the light on the wall in the very bottom-left-corner. This is what the original VHS tape looks exactly like.

Picture difference.png

In more detail:

- I have played the VHS from a very high-quality Sony machine (SLV-E720) onto the Panasonic EX-75, via SCART. Playing the resulting Hard Disk recording is entirely satisfactory - it matches the VHS quality without problems.

- I then copy the Hard Disk recording onto a DVD+RW, using High-Speed mode which avoids any re-transcoding, I understand. I am aware that the Widescreen flag gets lost, but the original videos are in 4:3 anyway, so this isn't an issue.

- If I now play the DVD+RW directly on the EX-75, the quality again matches the Hard Disk and original VHS quality.

- I am watching the output of the EX-75 on a screen as follows: the EX-75 is plugged into a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR2 box, whose USB is then plugged into my PC. I then use MPC-HC (Media Player Classic) and use Open Device to view the incoming signal.

- If I now put the DVD+RW into my computer's DVD drive and play it directly, using either MPC-HC (Media Player Classic), VLC, or Windows Media Player, the quality is noticeably more grainy.

- Copying the DVD onto the Hard Disk using mplayer from the command-line retains exactly the same grainy quality. It is as if the PC cannot get the same quality as the EX-75 when reading the DVD, which I find very odd.

- Using a DVD+R format disc has the same problem as DVD+RW.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Unfortunately there will be no work-around for this.

Panasonic DVDR's contain sophisticated filtering systems for detecting and treating VHS sourced materials which will be absent from other playback systems.

Ensor

Panasonic DVDR's contain sophisticated filtering systems...
I was wondering if it wasn't to do with the fact the OP is feeding the output of the DVDR into the PC using a WinTV box?

Your explanation is far better. Is it only Panasonic that go to these lengths, or do other manufacturers include similar filtering systems?

Gavtech

Administrator
Is it only Panasonic that go to these lengths, or do other manufacturers include similar filtering systems?

I don't really know what other manufacturers do.

I would have expected that JVC, who were major technical developers of VHS and its move into the digital era, and were a sister company to Panasonic, would have and use this technology - but as far as I know they have never been in the DVDR market at all.

fooquency

Novice Member
Panasonic DVDR's contain sophisticated filtering systems for detecting and treating VHS sourced materials which will be absent from other playback systems.

Can you clarify what the purpose of that would be? Are you saying that somehow this enhances the DVD playback when its source was VHS originally when played through the same system?

Just to be clear - the original VHS material is recorded from live TV, not a purchased source.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom