1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd/ps2/freeview straight to plasma or a/v?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ultraman, Jan 11, 2004.

1. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get the impression most people here plug their respective video inputs from DVD/freeview/PS2 straight into the plasma screen and audio to the a/v receiver. Why can't you plug it all (video and audio) thru to a a/v receiver and hopefully try to control the tv from there?

is there a loss in picture quality by way of the a/v receiver, even if its rgb to the a/v, then rgb from a/v to plasma?

this is of particular interest to me since i'm considering buying the Sony PFM 42v1, on which a dvi and dsub is standard and a rgb board is optional (and has only 1 rgb input).

any help would be appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    can use an Iscan or an amp with video switching, most mid>high amps will do S-video and component, very few do scart what sort of budget do have for an amp as if sub £200 pio 301 is great, if over £600 the Tamaha RV1400, Denon 3803 and HKAVR4550/5550 will al do component as will many others.

3. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have in mind either the sony 790, marantz 5400, denon ag10, teac or yamaha of similar caliber. ie looking to spend around 200-300 for an amp.

perhaps its just my impression from reading all the plasma posts that everyone is plugging their rgb cables from the dvd players straight into thier plasma and not routing it via the amp.

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality of the picture on the plasma is very dependent on the source quality.

For this reason, all of my sources are RGB or Component. Quite simply, you won't find an amp that switches RGB or Component video signals for £300.

The most cost effective solution maintaining optimal quality is to go direct. Use a JS Tech box and cascade your scarts if you can to give you some automatic switching.

Hope this helps,

James

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use our Yamaha RXV1000RDS receiver to do switching via component of sky/dvd (althought sky box and DVD player are daisychained via scart, then fed to a JSTech RGB2YUV convert first)

this then goes amp, then amp to plasma.

also use amp to switch Xbox feed (standard composite at the moment) - must say that picture from xbox composite isn't to bad at all - not perfect, ut know were near as bad as i'd thought it would be.

Gary

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215

Actually you will for £160, Pioneeer VCXS301 will switch 3 RGB scarts to a screen, not sure what the quality loss would be if any but it is possible.

7. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary thanks for the input
    any chance of switching the inputs (direct vs indirect) to see if u can spot any quality differences?

Horny dragon thanks too!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    THe pioneer 301 may be a little light to partner a 42" plasma but i think th 501 its bigger brother does the same thing with scart so worth a good look, £800 Yamaha 1400 will do YUV+S-video switching and up conversion but is a lot more amp for your money!

9. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JamesTapp, after a bit more research i see what you mean. I am now considering spending a bit more to get something like the Sony STR 2000 at around £380 for more connection options.
    most a/v receivers seem to pack a lot of composite analogue connections rather than quality RGB or svideo.

i think i have a better idea of what i want from my amp, which is

2/3x rgb inputs.
    2 s video inputs.
    3 optical inputs

Other than the sony, are there any other options i should be looking at?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You wont get many with RGB but you will with component at £300 + plenty of yamahas have YUV+ S-video switching Denon, HK, and so on also look at PIO 812,912 no YUV IIRC

11. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with Horny, if you want something that is user friendly and switches audio as well as video then look for an amp with YUV (Component) inputs and outputs. But this doesn't help your original question of going in on the VGA input...

If you can daisychain your Scarts, I would do so. It is the way I have my DVD, Cable box, TIVO and PS2 into a single Component input - and the quality is fine.

If you daisychained your Scarts you could then use the JSTech RGB2VGA to go into your Plasma DSub - although check its compatibility first - and that you get all of the screen settings you need.

Not heard much about the latest Sony offerings for amplifiers - although I believe that Pioneer are leading the pack - Harman Kardon I have heard and was impressed with, but their styling is not to everyones taste.

Good luck.

James