Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dvd ps question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by indie24, Mar 28, 2005.

1. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    hi, i would like to know if i require a ps dvd player. i have just bought the sammy 50 dlp tv which has ps scan ntsc and pql and would like to know if i wanted ps from my dvds i would need a ps dvd player as well. At the moment i have a sony 725d dvd player which i will connect via component. do both devices need to be ps or does the tv as surely that will do all work?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    It depends if the TV has a de-interlacer built in.

If it does then the DVD player doesnt have to have a deinterlacer as the TV will do it for you

If the TV doesnt then it can 'accept' a prog scan source but you will only get prog scan if your DVD player is capable of giving prog scan

If your TV has a deinterlacer and your DVD does too then it is a case of seeing which of the 2 is better at the job.

3. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    thx, can you tell me please if i need a dvd player then, i have a samsung 50" dlp tv

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Indie I have the same dvd player as you and a DLP 65' screen. I have connected the dvd player via component interlaced and let the display do the work the results are excellant. Either the display de-interlaces it or the dvd player does. Which ever unit has the best de-interlacer, normally the display unless you spend thousands on a dvd player. I would of personally thought your display would do a better job than the dvd player at giving a progressive signal.

In fact I have tested the sony 725 against the 868 and to be honest there wasnt much in it. My father has both the pioneer 868 and the 725 and he wishes he saved his money on the 868.

In a nut shell you will get a very good picture from the 725 via comp-i. I am now waiting for HD DVD or Blue Ray before I upgrade again. Save your money and stick to the sony 725.

I hope that helps you little bit. :thumbsup: