1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Price confusion...can u shed some light?!?!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by craynerd, Oct 30, 2005.

1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont mean to be rude or insulting, but i am genually uneducated in this area. Basically i`m 22 and just got my first proper av setup, 32" lcd, denon 1920 and 2106 amp..well impressed. So i pop on here, as i have been doing for the past months to actually but some DVDs, and what bargins..£3.50 inc postage, £5 for new ones! BUT then i come across all this R1 swap for similar R1 or sell for £30!!!!!! WHAT the hell,?? I have seen someone offering Terminator for £35 cuz its from his Jap collection, i`m not being insulting, i`m sure to you it is genuinaly worth it, BUT why, i`m sure i can get terminator from my local market for about £3!!! lol... well u have helped enlighten me with my hardware discisions, now maybe you could enlighten me into this new teritory!

So could u also explain the relvance of the regions of dvds and why it is of importance (obviously despite player copatability; my player is multiregion!)

Chris

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hmm well first and foremost, a dvd is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. copies of the japanese armageddon dvd regularly sell for £60 because it's the only version with dts, and quite rare to boot. personally i have no interest in spending £60 to hear the dts soundtrack, but quite a lot of other people do. Also, i think you'll find very few people here would ever consider buying a dvd from a "local market" because we all take pride in our collections and would be embarrassed and horrified to have a bootleg dvd amongst our collection. I have about 750 dvd's and every one of them is 100% legitimate. I ended up with a pirate copy of Hitch a while back, and just got rid of it rather than keeping it because i had no desire to even put it in my dvd player.

differences between regions can be small or large. picture quality can vary, as can the available sound options, or even the extras. even if two dvd's are exactly the same, some people will prefer a R1/R3 or a R2/R4 because of the NTSC or PAL encoding. With NTSC you are getting a slightly inferior (less vertical lines) image quality, but with PAL you are getting a slightly inferior (sped up) sound quality. Also some DVD players can only output progressive scan in PAL or NTSC so this again pushes the buyer in the direction of the dvd which will look best for them.

3. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Yup, and some people like to collect every version of a particular film.

I remember a while back there was a special rare collectors edition of T3 which came in a very futuristic box with a usb keyring pendrive. This set was going for about £150 at the time.

4. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Good advice is to check out the DVD reviews section. You'll find in some cases 2 or 3 different versions of the same DVD reviewed with different picture quality and audio options depending on the region. Also, different masters are sometimes used from region to region, this can give rise to different picture and audio quality. For example, Japanese releases are renowned for their superb presentation. It is possible that a title is out of print (OOP) and is no longer available, hence it is more valuable. A good example is Jurassic Park. The Japanese Superbit is widely recognised as the best version of this DVD and it is OOP. The licence to produce this is no longer held by the Japanese company that released it, and no further pressings will be made. As a consequence this is a very sought after version and you'll pay £50 upwards to get it.
    By the way, the Terminator DVD you talk about is OOP and £35 is not unreasonable for it if mint. It is the Japanese Ultimate Edition, region 2 NTSC, and until recently was the only version of the DVD with a DTS track. This particular DVD was a limited edition and sold out within two days of its release in Japan. A region 2 PAL version was released in September 2005 and is currently available in the UK. I have not seen it or read any reviews so cannot comment on the picture or audio quality, it does have a DTS track though. However, I do own the Japanese release and can confirm that it is superb in every department. The Terminator has never looked or sounded so good, at least not on DVD. :)

5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Because some people are slightly :rotfl: :rolleyes: :confused: they like to spend big money on collectable and rare DVDs and thats their choice I guess. I personally shop around to get he best price, I rarely pay over £8 for DVD and I have all the DVDs I now want. Great sites for bargains include Play.com, DVDsoon, Amazon, ASDA etc ... Definetly shop around and avoid DVDs on the market as they are likely to be rip offs and will not do your new system proud!

As for Region DVDs, I have never fully understood the reason, I guess its to protect cinema releases across the world?

6. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to let you know If its R1, then it wouldn't be a jap film. And R1 versions of films tend to go cheaper than R2

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,914
    I like a bargain as well as anyone else (R1 Episode 3 for £9.99) but sometimes there are certain releases that catch my eye (Japanese AvP Monster Collection) and I think, why not :thumbsup:

8. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, i think i get it, its kinda like "Record Collecting", rares oops ect!
    If my player is multiregion enabled, denon1906, i`ll be ok with any region yes?
    But what do the regions actually mean, i.e whats R1, R2 R3...ect?

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,914
    R0 - No Region Coding

R1 - United States of America, Canada

R2 - Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa

R3 - Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia

R4 - Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America

R5 - India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries

R6 - Peoples Republic of China

R7 - Unused

R8 - Airlines/Cruise Ships

R9 - Expansion (often used as region free)

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    each territory around the globe has a region assigned to it. for more information, take a look here: http://www.alom.com/services/dvdregion.html

edit: or don't bother cos indy beat me to it... :rolleyes:

11. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I got R2 Episode 3 fot £10 :D

12. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It is certainly not always the case that a R2 DVD is better in PQ terms than a R1. Or, to make the proper comparison, that the PAL version of a DVD will have better PQ than its NTSC equivalent. The Japanese Jurassic Park Superbit I mentioned in my above post is a case in point. It is R2 true, but the Japanese use the NTSC system so it is an NTSC disk. PAL does not guarantee superior PQ to NTSC. Not that simple I'm afraid.

13. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I recently started waking up to alternative regions than UK-R2. I was always unsure because of the uncertaintly over PQ of NTSC - but I can not tell the difference!

I am pleased because the prices are certainly more competitve, I've got some 'better versions' too, uncut, better extras etc etc.

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    R2 UK movies are often cut
    The BBFC removes quite a lot from the UK DVDs

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    my current dvd player (admittedly cheap) is crap at showing colours on ntsc dvd's.. they flicker and change hue quite often. i think at some point i'll go ahead and buy one that doesn't cost £40..

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,914
    I had that problem a few months ago, whenever I tried playing back an NTSC DVD all the colours would get screwy and I had to end up setting the player to output PAL.
    In the end I figured out it wasent the DVD Player at fault but my TV so I sold it and bought a 32' Toshiba and now NTSC is displayed perfectly.

17. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    This is very true - I never realised Temple of Doom was so gory until I got the R1 boxset, they cut over a minute out of the film! Another example is the UK SW: Ep II release, that had a 1-second cut...even Episode 1 (bad language in extras) or Batman Returns haven't escaped the BBFC Shears of Doom!!! Before buying from a high-street shop/amazon these days I always go to www.bbfc.org.uk and search for the film I'm after...any sign of a red "cut" entry in the database and its straight to cd-wow for me! Often they have R2 and R4 on one disc, from Oz for example, which will work on a R2 only player but has not had the cuts made to it.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received Wrong Turn dts japanese edition, paid more but the dts track really sounds much better ( not just louder ) and no edge enhancement unlike the region 1 Fox edition, also received Dawn of the Dead Directors cut from Japan, great packaging and in my opinion they do seem to really care about the quality of the packaging in Japan, only reason i pay more is because of the yen to pound conversion rates but great news is that i wasn't hit by customs charges, last time i ordered a dvd through CD Japan i was hit by an additional £18 charge for one dvd, this time i received 3 and no additional charge, i'm happy it slipped through the net.