1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Plays Only In Black And White Help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monjiopio, Feb 12, 2003.

1. monjiopio

monjiopio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping you can help me please. I am currently living in Japan and recently purchased a HYUNDAI DVD HY632PS player in Australia and brought it to Japan. I bought this dvd player because I wanted a machine that was region free and both ntsc and pal. When I purchased this machine I was assured it would work on any tv in pal or ntsc. I tested it on an australian tv pal to make sure the machine was working ok which it did very well indeed. However when I connected it to my tv in Japan I only get a black and white picture with a large black horizontal line flicking continuously from bottom to top of the screen. The dvd player is ok voltage wise its 100- 250 volts.with 50/60Hz all these specs are ok in Japan. I also changed the preferences menu to ntsc and i tried multi but still no change. I did notice there was no setting for somposite video on the menu . There is a listing for s-video, ycbcr, scart, and ypbpr on the menu. When I tested the player in australia on pal i just used the composite video straight from the box just plugged the three rca's in and it worked Could you please help me with some advise as I waited a year to purchase this machine and bring it back to Japan . As you can imagine I am not very happy. THANKS
    With thanks

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    It could be a problem with your television. The dvd may well be outputing in NTSC or PAL but your tv has to be able to display these. It certainly seems to be that rather than the dvd player.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    as well as sellecting ntsc in the player menu have a look at the back of the dvd player. Most have a video standard switch there as well. Make sure it is set to ntsc. Oh, and make sure you are using an ntsc disk.

4. monjiopio

monjiopio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Ferris57 and Bogside. (FERRIS57) It seems there is no video standard switch on the back. When I bought the player I asked the sales people about that they assurd me it's not a problem the player automatically does everything. In Japan the its region 2 NTSC and I have been using the dvd's from the video shop so no problem there. Just a point though I have a Pioneer DV s737 dvd player also that I have been using for ages on my tv with no problems its not region free . But a Japanese friend suggested that the Japanese domestic market might be protected somehow that perhaps theres some kind of signal or code protection where only local products are compatible with each other. What do you think? ( BOGSIDE) Yes I wondered about the tv also it's not new but is a Japanes ntsc tv. About displaying ntsc and pal though as I said above I have been using a locally made pioneer dvd player with the tv no problem. Are you saying then that the technology is different with this new dvd player. Is ntsc the same in any country that uses it. What do you think? Sorry to be such a pain. I would appreciate any other suggestions. I have been trying to contact Hyundai but can't find a link to the manufacturer. Anyone know how. I've done a stack of searches but no luck. I keep pluggin away.