• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD playing at 1080i not p and how do I 'downscale'?

pro-crast

Standard Member
Please bare with me for 2 secs, I'm hoping this is a very simple one to answer...

I have a Panasonic th-42pz70 (1080P native),a Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD Recorder (1080p upscaler) and a Onyko 605 all connected via HDMI.

So,

1) Why then when I play normal DVD's does it say the input is 1080i and not 1080p?

2) I hear 720p could be better anyway, what and how do I change or 'downscale' to ensure I play 720p not 1080 i/p. Is there a menu somewhere on the DVD player or receiver or TV or all three?!

Ahh, please help.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Please bare with me for 2 secs, I'm hoping this is a very simple one to answer...

I have a Panasonic th-42pz70 (1080P native),a Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD Recorder (1080p upscaler) and a Onyko 605 all connected via HDMI.

So,

1) Why then when I play normal DVD's does it say the input is 1080i and not 1080p?

2) I hear 720p could be better anyway, what and how do I change or 'downscale' to ensure I play 720p not 1080 i/p. Is there a menu somewhere on the DVD player or receiver or TV or all three?!

Ahh, please help.

If you display has a native res of 1920x1080 then the image it displays will be "upscaled" to this resolution. The question is which of your devices does the best job of video processing i.e. deinterlacing, scaling etc.

DVD is either PAL or NTSC has a resolutoin of 576 or 480 x 720. I would avoid having too many devices process the video. Does your Sony DVD allow basic 576i over HDMI ? If so try this into your display and see what looks best. In the end the display will upscale a 720p image to 1920x1080 anyway.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom