1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KenH, Mar 12, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I am absolutely new to this home cinema business! A friend has a sony dvd player dvp ns705s and a sony receiver/speaker package ht dd w8402. He has said the player is a sacd player which was great because sacd's will replace cd's! I started (probably a mistake!!!!) doing some research and discovered this big argument about dvd-a versus sacd with some saying buy neither. key thing is budget: I don't really want to spend much more than £250ish on a dvd player unless it's an all singing all dancing one that'll do all these things!
    if you need more information please ask.

Ken

ps Please give any answers jargon free. Thanks

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ken.

I think that it's a bit too early for your friend to say that SACD & DVD-Audio are going to replace CD's.
    There isn't sufficient depth of either format available (it has got better) to know which, if any, of the formats will remain king of the hill.

There are some 'all singing - all dancing' machines out there that you could go and hear playing @ a local dealer.

The Pioneer 656a comes to mind which i think is about £300'ish (perhaps a tad more). That does DVD-A & SACD and just about everything else (CD-R, CD-RW MP3 etc)

For the price, it's pretty good value.

Have a read up on it....

Adzman

3. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spligsey!

Ken

4. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    KenH

You might want to look at the Toshiba SD520E as well - £169 (£199 MR) from Richer Sounds or Amazon - its a DVD-A player but not SACD (I think?). Got some good reviews.

Giles