DVD Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by omar, Feb 19, 2003.

1. omar

omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have at present
    TV Sony 32 KV-32FX66
    VCR Panasonic NV-HS830BS
    Sat Panasonic TU-DSB40, and need a DVD player.

Sat Panasonic TU-DSB40, and need a DVD player.

My criteria is the best sound and picture for my budget of £120 max
    The choices at present are Toshiba 220 or Pioneer 350 both multi region.
    I have been told that the Pioneer is the best through my TV using scart as the Tosh is better through composite which my TV does not have.
    Would I be happy with both or is the Tosh better.
    I have seen all the reviews on the Tosh but none on the Pioneer

Will a multi region player play region 3 Donnie Darko from CDWOW in english and what are the downsides of region 3

Also have problems with channel 4 on terrestial with herringbone lines running vertically and have tried most fixes, the problem only goes away if I remove the Sat receiver from my system
    any advice please
    Thanks

2. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly all TV's take composite. Not many take component however the Tosh 220 doesn't have component output anyway. I'm taking delivery of my 32fx66 today and will be getting a tosh SD220 as it seems to be the best sub £250 player around. Hook it up with some nice RGB scart cable and it should look fantastic.

As for multi region - it should play all regions.

Can't help with the scart question though!

3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba 220 definitely does have component outputs. I bought one last week to use this connection with my projector. Component is certainly better than composite and you should be using this connection (or scart or even s-video) over the composite everytime.

Have a search on this forum for both players - there is quite a bit comparing the two players which should help you.

I'd be tempted to post your region 3 question separately in the dvd forum.

Best of luck

Regards

Richard

4. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tosh. 220e is a fantastic player for the price, and def. has component. Not sure if I can tell much difference from scart though..

5. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected - many apologies :rolleyes:

6. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MattDX - I should hope so too;)

Omar - I think RicherSounds sell both for about the same price and will let you swop if you're not happy. I doubt they'd be a huge difference between them to be honest and I bet you'd be happy with either.

No doubt there will be a cheap Sony player with similar performance as well. This would also match your TV if thats important to you! Have a search.

Regards

Richard

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Omar you say
    The outfut channel you have set in your Sat box is interfering with the locally broadcast signal for CH4. You need to re-tune the output to a channel that doesn't conflict with any other transmissions in your area.

This can be a time consuming affair as you may well find CH4 fine but you then get interference on say BBC2!

There is a web site where you can put in your local channels and it will suggest one for you to try for your sat box but I can't remember it - sorry!

Even when you've done all this, and re-tuned your tele or teles to the new frequency, you may still get interference under certain weather conditions.

I find that using a channel at the extreme end of those available helps me, but it much depends on where you live. Can you manage without the aerial going through the Sat box and just use a scart?

DaveP

8. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well i have the same tv as yourself and i went for the pioneer 350 and so far i'm not dissapointed, a multi region should play most disks from all regions but some wont play RCE disks.
    Why watch c4 through terrestial when you have sky?

9. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    omar

I had the same problem with my satelite receiver (i have a humax 5400) being on a uhf channel that had interference but on this reciever you can change the uhf channel to one that doesnt have any interference throught the menu, maybe with yours you can do the same.

Actually I didnt know you could and thought it was some sort of magnetic interference from the receiver itself!!

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Multi-region means exactly that, it's able to play DVDs from various regions, including Region 3 (which is generally the third most watched region in the UK, after Region 2 - the native region - and Region 1).

The only downside to Region 3 DVDs is that you get little, if any extras, this is due to translation/dubbing/subtitle issues and also licensing issues for different territories. For instance, the Region 1 version of Donnie Darko has tons of extras running to many hours worth, the Region 3 doesn't really have any.

But if it's just the actual film that you're interested in, Region 3 is often a very inexpensive way of getting hold of DVDs. As they NTSC encoded, they also run in progressive scan :smashin:

11. omar

omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply
    I need Channel 4 because the signal is split and goes to a portable TV upstairs so wife can watch what she wants
    It is wired up so you can watch terrestial, sky, video or dvd upstairs and she often watches channel 4 if I am watching sky sports

12. omar

omar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I meant component not composite in my original enquiry

I have just got a Pioneer 350 from Richersounds on the salesmans recommendation, as he said it was a better player on the Sony through scart as the Sony does not have component, in which case the Toshiba would probably be better.
    Still not sure although have just watched 51st State and could not fault the player, wondering if I should swop for the Toshiba and if it has more usefull functions, performance, sound etc.

13. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    [MODERATOR NOTE - DUPLICATE THREADS MERGED]