DVD players without decoders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stuart-f, Dec 14, 2000.

1. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this is a daft question but does anyone manufacture a DVD player without any onboard sound decoding, i.e. simply a transport with a digital output?
    It seems daft to pay for all that extra hardware/software simply to connect the player via its direct digital output. (Or is there something I have missed?)

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I think it's part of the standard for DVD players that they must have a 2 channel, analogue, audio output.

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yeah,

Theta make "DVD transports" which have purely digital sound outputs, as detailed in the Home Cinema Choice SE supplement with this month's issue. Their DVDs start at around £3000, if I remember correctly, so there's a big saving there!!! :)

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yeah,

Theta make "DVD transports" which have purely digital sound outputs, as detailed in the Home Cinema Choice SE supplement with this month's issue. Their DVDs start at around £3000, if I remember correctly, so there's a big saving there!!! :)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart,

Only *very* high end manufacturers, e.g. Theta (£££ mentioned above) and Meridian (£££ to £££££) produce DVD transports. Even Sony's new £1200 flagship does PCM (stereo) decoding internally and has analogue phono outputs.

What you can buy are DVD players without Dolby Digital and DTS decoders (and therefore no 5.1 phono outputs), and use your A/V processor/integrated amp to do the multichannel decoding. Of course, you have to pick a DVD player with a low jitter digital bitstream.

That's exactly what I've done. I'm using a Sony 7700 DVD player as a CD/DVD transport and feeding the digital output to my Yamaha A2 amp. Sounds fantastic [​IMG]

Hope that helps,
    Joel