1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Players With Subtitles

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jmh123, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jmh123

jmh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are currently looking to purchase a DVD player which can record television programs with subtitles. Has anyone got any sugestions?

A very confused consumer!

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    It is possible to record programmes with subtitles from a freeview box (eg Thompson) on to VHS, so I can't see why it cant be done with DVD.
    Thing is though, the subtitles are then part of the recorded picture, you can't turn them on and off as you would live TV or a DVD.

I don't think this answers the question I think you are asking, but I'ts all I can add I'm afraid.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    AFAIK the only recorder that can record the subtitles without them being permenently displayed on the recording is TiVo as that also records the subtitle page separately and it can then be displayed or not as required.

Mark.

4. abFab

abFab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ and some other hard drives can also record subtitles separately, so you have the choice whether or not to display them during playback.
    And I know some videos also have this function to record subtitles. My Panasonic NV-HD685 (probably since updated) records subtitles automatically, for EVERY recording on terrestrial tv, recording them in the closed format, which means that I can then choose whether or not to have the subtitles on during playback. I have to say it's a godsend for me and my deaf partner.
    Also, all S-VHS players can record subtitles from terrestrial tv, as the teletext signals are automatically recorded alongside the picture.