DVD players with sound processing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by minesapintorthree, Aug 9, 2006.

1. minesapintorthree

minesapintorthree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just starting and buying a cinema system. I know this sounds like a simple question but why do some dvd players have sound processing built in, surely this is what the amp is for? Any help please cause i have got my projector and now want to get the rest of the kit.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Some DVD players have the processing built in as they can usally be fed direct to the AMP via the 5.1 direct in route. (6x RCA connectors) SACD and DVD Audio rely on this route. The amp will then just amplify the sound given it.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Although mainly for sacd/ dvd-a ( ill fated formats:rolleyes: ), the DVD players built-in capability to decode Dolby Digital/ DTS can also be exploited if you have a set of 5.1 self powered speakers and no AV amp decoder

My Yamaha and Denon AV amps can take a direct 5.1 input bypassing its decoding.
    I find though, that with the 3 DVD players ( one of which is a Denon) I have which have built in decoders and output, the Amps do a much better job so I just stick to using it by connecting the DVD player by digital out.
    In another thread , it was found that some better DVD players with built in processsing are better audio CD players
    This is it

4. minesapintorthree

minesapintorthree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be better to connect dvd and amp using RCA rather than optical or coaxial digital if the dvd player has sound processing built in? I thought digital would always be best.

Thanks senu you answered this question as i was writing it.

5. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    If you are not going to use the onboard DVD decoder then connect via Co-ax or fibre, no real difference if the co-ax or fibre is of good quality. But if you want to use SACD or DVD Audio then you will need to use the direct connection (RCA x6). Or connect the 6x RCA for SACD and Co-ax/fibre for normal DVD, and if listening to SACD press the Direct button on the AV Amp.

6. c_fletcher

c_fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a related note, I have a Denon 2900 that I am currently using for cinema through a Denon 1906 and Kef 2005.2 `s and for music through a Sony TA5650 and IMF TLS50 speakers, whilst it sounds better than the old Marantz CD36 cd player (more 3d and higher soundstage), I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on whether I would notice a significant improvement for audio if I was to upgrade to a Quad CDP-2 cd player? ........or is the difference not enough to warrant the £1000 spend. Also as a bit of an off topic question, can anyone suggest a replacement for the IMF speakers?

thanks in advance