1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Players with Sharpness Control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PJTX100, Aug 12, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I like sharp pics to the extent that I tend to find I have to ramp up the sharpness past the default point if such an adjustment is available.

The Pioneer 575 has such a facility and it's fantastic. It's the first thing people comment about when they see the projected pic "I never knew projectors could show so much detail etc...".

I'm looking for another DVD player (to replace the Samsung 745) to connect to my PJ via DVI/DHMI which has a sharpness adjustment available.

I think I've read the Denon 1910 may be a candidate? But does such a control still work with DVI? My experience of DVI is that some facilities get "greyed out".

Are there any other players (eg the Oppo) which have sharpness control built-in?

Any experience appreciated...PJ :)

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Sharpness controls are one of the worst to use, whether on a player or on a display device. All they tend to do is accentuate noise, cause ringing aroung the edges of hogh constrast objects and increase 'jaggies'. If you have any sense at all you will realise that a nice crisp sharp picture can be achieved without using such features. Careful calibration of brightness, contrast and of course making sure that your source material is sharp in the first place. If you would like more indepth information about this then I recommnend you speak to Gordon @ Convergent AV.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the reply, though I'm not sure "if you have any sense at all" was called for.

I am fully aware of potential side effects of any such enhancement, but I go on what my eyes see and what I enjoy hence I'm not ashamed to use any form of adjustment if it improves my enjoyment.

Just to prove how much of a heathen I am, I even turn the BNR (Block Noise Reduction) on the Pio 575 ON!! And the way it cleans up the pic is amazing. Had I bought a 1K scaler which changed things as much as simply turning BNR on does, I'd be proclaiming on this forum that it was money well spent.

So thanks for the concern and the advice, but it won't stop me using such adjustments if that's OK with you...PJ :)

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Panny s97 has sharpness adjustments (and many others). Gives some of the best control over all elements of the picture I know. Also allows you, in addition to its own preset modes (normal, Cinema 1, Cinema 2, Animation & Dynamic) to set your own preferences in User Mode, and, if needs be, save three sets of preferences to the AV Enhancer Auto 1, 2 & 3 settings. Highly recommend this player, if you can get it.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    In many instances better results can be achieved by turning these settings down.

Didn't go much on the "if you had any sense at all" bit either. Bloody rude if you ask me.

Steven

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks, more food for thought!...PJ :)

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I know what you mean, the key thing I think is to try all options. With the amazing number of adjustments on source and display devices it's possible to get some impressive results simply by fiddling!

...PJ :)

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    757 is best left at default sharpness IMO, a much better player will not need you to use the sharpness feature

9. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Barzo do you know what Dynamic preset is meant to do with pic on Panny S97?
    Do you have any recommendations, for the various S97 picture settings?

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    There's a good test pattern on AVIA that demonstrates how horrible the sharpness control is.

Previously, I too liked to turn the sharpness control up but not after AVIA showed me what it was doing to my picture.
    I'm a convert and I urge you to try AVIA. You'll be dropping back the sharpness control on every display you have access to.

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Indeed so.

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hmm. I can believe this. But to be honest I'm happy with what I see. I don't really want to spoil the illusion!
    ...PJ :)

13. kstainsb

kstainsb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There's a sharpness control on the OPPO. I have it set nearly to full, and the picture looks lovely and sharp. Through DVI so no interference to worry about. To my untrained eye, it looks as setting the sharpness to high removes some circuitry which can slightly "fuzz" the picture.

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Apologies for that comment. Was just airing my views, obviously a little too forcibly.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I agree, it's worth making any changes you decide to make with the 'Sharpness' test pattern from the AVIA or Digital Video Essentials disc. It makes it very clear how much artificial ringing and edge enhancement it is causing. However, if you are happy with what you see when you use these settings then that's all that matters.

16. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The Dynamic preset seems to boost contrast and brightness, and WAY too much. Bet it looks good for a shop demo though.

Re: settings - no, have no recommendations. I tend to use the player in 'Normal' mode, or ocassionally in 'Cinema 2' mode, which seems to boost sharpness and contrast without major detrimental effects (at least where the disc being watched is well encoded). I don't use the sharpness settings on the player at all, but I do use the NR features. These work wonders with badly encoded discs, and are superb at removing grain from old (particulary b&w) movies. Here, I created a preset with the 'User' settings and save to one of the 'Auto' modes - I think I had 3DNR at 3, and MPEG NR at 1 (anything beyond this with MPEG NR and the image gets soft).

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    OK, it happens to us all...PJ :)

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That is interesting. I was almost going to try the Denon 1910 but I'll have a think now...PJ :)

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good on you PJ for saying what works for you...I think we have to be careful sometimes not to try and impose what any of us think are the best settings on others, make some helpful suggestions and possible alternatives is fine....I also think using sharpness can help the picture....I think u would have liked a go with the S97 as its a tweakers paradise lol