1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD players with DVI output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MattH, May 21, 2003.

1. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know if there are any of these players for sale in the UK?? Will they improve the picture quality by some margin over a progressive output player??

2. Mark4

Mark4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's the Linn Unidisk, the Tag, the Momitsu in its various disguises, and a Samsung due in June I believe.

Regards

Mark

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Matt,

Check out the many threads on the US www.avsforum.com for details on the Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931. The D1 is not available for export at the moment, but you can import an HD931. The D1 appears to have the edge in PQ and doesn't require an HDCP enabled DVI input - at least on the first batch of players. There is a player available from Germany called the Brainwave v880 which is €249 and uses the same de-interlacing and scaling chip as the D1 - see Tapani's thread. You can also get the Tag DVD32FLR with the PSM192 board that has a DVI output at a rather higher price level :eek: but I'm not sure that it will scale the output signal. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still wondering though whether they (say the samsung) will improve the PQ over a progressive output DVD Player?

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    In theory a DVI player is cutting out two analogue-digital conversions (ie. the conversion from digital signals on the disk to analogue component output from the player, and conversion of analogue input on the projector to digital signals which are then shown on the panel). No D-to-A conversion is 100% accurate and introduces noise and artifact.

The problem is though is that a cheapo MPEG converter on one of these low price DVI output players may not match a top dollar player so may cancel out any theoretical improvement.

I have the Reelmagic Xcard which uses a similar decoding chip to the D1 and Momitsu/Manowa, and whilst it doesn't have DVI on progressive component I do not think it is up to the standard of my standalone DVD player (or HTPC).

Best thing will be to wait until people start getting these players and then listen to some opinions as to their relative quality. So far on AVS it all sounds positive enough for me to give one a go.

Regards,

Ian Guinan