1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Players-Recorders -Burners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by old-Bill, Dec 17, 2003.

1. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

Hi everyone,
    I dont have a clue on this subject:

1) Do DVD Recorders play and burn copies? or would I have to disconnect a recorder and take it up to where my computer lives?

2) Do they play home cinema,ie outputs to speakers?

or is a separare, player, recorder and burner required?

What is best around £250-£500?

I know you could tell me to wade through the site to find out but by the time I reach the second page I'd have forgotten the first, dont laugh! old age will get you too.

Hope you can oblige
    Bill

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1/ Yes, play copies but won't copy protected material without special cables/correctors (ie wont copy commercial dvds).
    2/ Output to an a/v amplifier for 5.1 (digital outs) or stereo (analogue outs). They don't output to speakers directly.

PC burner is not needed unless you want to make fancy menus or if you don't have a hard-disk recorder and want to edit recordings before committing to dvd-r. PC burners can easily make backups of protected discs with appropriate software.

A recorder with a hard disk is the most flexible choice since it allows you to store lots of programs and edit them before burning to dvd-r.

Recorders generally don't have all the features of a dvd player, but they can do an adequate job.

Best bet for a hard-disk dvd recorder is the Panasonic HS2 at around £520.

My recommendation for a recorder without HD would be a Panasonic E50 at around £250. You may want to consider Philips DVD+ recorders because they offer better compatibility with re-writeable discs. Pioneer, JVC, Sony and Toshiba also make dvd recorders with differing disc-types and features.

Do some more reading on this forum.

3. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help,
    I has cleared up a great deal of my confusion>:zonked:

Bill