1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Players (DV89)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by p3rfect, Aug 4, 2005.

1. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DV89 seems to have 5.1 output on the back, do I plug speakers in there or am I asking a completely ridiculous question?!

Am looking at buying the KEF KHT2005.2 Surround Sound Speaker Package thats all and don't have a a/v receiver, just a90/p90 and dv89!

Any views with the KHT2005.2 plus arcam gear?

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi P3erfect,

Haven't got an opinion on the Kef gear, have never heard it myself.

However, with regard to your other question, the 5.1 output is literally that, a set of audio outputs only. They are used to plug into a suitable AV AMP with 5.1 channel input to send the 5.1 discrete channels of audio from DVD to AMP via analogue output. Most AV amps accept these 5.1 audio signals over either the digital optical, or coaxial, output your DVD player also has (assuming DV89 has both optical and coax outputs).

You would need to get an AV amp to be able to plug both the DVD and speakers into, to use the Kef's. Either by an AV amp, or upgrade your A90 to accept multi-channel analogue input, and upgrade and add to your P90 to drive the 5 of the 5.1 channels as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy

3. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate.

[rant]

Really bugs me that you just can't have the best of both worlds, i.e. an amp that does surround, or a receiver that is great in stereo. Surely it's not hard to do, more likely the hifi companies limit the audio so we have to spend evern more ridiculous amounts of cash. Maybe that's a little off topic!

[/rant]

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This is off the main topic of this thread but p3rfect - are you sure your Arcam A90 & P90 can sufficiently drive the B&W 805s?

5. nicnic

nicnic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why don't you think they are up to the job?? Can't say I am completly blown away with the sound like I was expecting, but after spending fortunes of money I suppose its hard to admit it! the bass is a little to be desired as well, was thinking of investing in a sub... My room also isn't massive so I went for standmounts rather than floor standers so my choice was a bit limited...

6. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The B&W 805s can take a lot of power from amps - the higher the power output the better the sound. I have not heard the B&W 805s but they are expensive. Expensive speakers usually need more expensive power amps with more power.

My system is in a small room and I have standmounts.Get a sub like the Rel Q150E MkII (which I have) with line level (phono cables) and high level (Neutrik cables which comes in the box). When you connect the Neutrik cable to power amp / integrated amp, the sound is much better integrated with your Front left and right speaakers. This results in better results with music and movies - with the Sub sounding more like the Front left and right speakers.

I know this because I have tried this. The manual will tell you how to connect the Neutrik cable. With most standmounters you usually need a good sub. The Rel one I mentioned is RRP 500 pounds new.