1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player with HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gavsteryoung, Aug 2, 2005.

1. gavsteryoung

gavsteryoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking for a DVD player with HDMI and the one I want has now been discontinued (s97), I thought I would make a list up of those that I knew of. Maybe it can be stickied and added to as we go.....

There are a couple of high end Merdians etc not listed.... I've tried to put them in rough price order..... please feel free to add any missing..... a good HDMI player seems to be lacking at the moment, and I dont understand the logic of panasonic stopping the S97....

Samsung 850
    Samsung 950 (includes HDMI Cable)
    Toshiba SD-350E
    Oppo Digital OPDV971H (Limited Availability)
    Panasonic DVDS97EBS (Discontinued)
    Panasonic DVD-S77S (US Model Not Out in UK Yet)
    Pioneer DV-668AV-S
    Pioneer 868
    Denon 2910
    Denon 3910
    Denon DVD A1-XV
    Arcam DV79
    Arcam FMJ DV29

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I am running the Denon 3910 via HDMI with very impressive results. I'm sure the same goes for Pioneer 668/868 and Arcam DV users.

3. gavsteryoung

gavsteryoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I should refraise what I meant....

a good under £300 DVD player that is actually available to buy online or in shops....

No doubt the top of range players are astounding.....

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Momitsu 880DX with a DVI to HDMI adapter should be OK. Or the network version.

5. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gavsteryoung

I too have been agonising over buying a decent HDMI equipped player. You surf these forums and you end up baffled, because there will be at least one owner somewhere that comes up with a fault on their machine. It’s complicated by the fact that comments made could be on connections via component or RGB or DVI/HDMI and displays viewed could be CRT , LCD or plasma TVs and DLP or LCD projectors. Also upscaling/deinterlacing may be happening in either the player or the display. Some of the problems encountered are definitely connection or display related.

Anyway, here’s what I’ve read to date on some of the ones listed above. I will tell you that I have yet to make a decision, but then I haven’t bought my projector yet.

Samsung 950 (includes HDMI Cable): Just out, so not much comment on it other than favourable first look impressions. One or two returned due to faults.
    Toshiba SD-350E: I was looking forward to this, but one user has already sent theirs back due to bad HDMI image quality. Not seen many other comments, although someone said a French review site had rated it highly
    Oppo Digital OPDV971H (Limited Availability): DVI, not HDMI. Seems to have a superb picture up there with £800 players, and Oppo themselves are working on updates to fix outstanding problems (eg lip-sync, although that doesn’t seem to be a huge constant problem)
    Panasonic DVDS97EBS (Discontinued): Strangely, Panasonic seemed to have just sorted out all the problems on this machine to turn it into quite a competitive beast, halved the price then promptly discontinued it. Recall someone saying that they thought the cure of its macroblocking issue had led to image softening. Generally good comments on the latest software upgrade though.
    Panasonic DVD-S77S: People on www.avsforums.com seem to think that the 97 is better
    Pioneer DV-668AV-S: I’ve read that this is an 868 without a scaler. Haven’t really read any rave reviews of it though, which I would have expected if it was that.
    Pioneer 868: Supposed to be one of the best, though its deinterlacing and scaling isn’t quite up there with the Faroudja chipped players – however it does not suffer from macroblocking, which the Faroudjas do and has a rock-steady image. Can output 576i out of HDMI so can therefore be upgraded by adding a scaler at a later date. Suffers from CUE bug on some source material (rare, apparently). About to be replaced by the 989.
    Denon 2910: HDMI connection a bit dodgy, though DVI fine. Can suffer from macroblocking on some displays. Some people think this is great, others not so. There have been reliability issues.
    Denon 3910 – Macroblocking problems again. Similar comments to the 2910, though a better machine. Some high-powered forum contributors seem to frown on Denon, with Arcam then Pioneer favoured.

There’s also the Marantz DV7600 and the Yamaha SD2500, but not read much about those. The Denon 1920 with HDMI is due out soon, but doesn’t seem to be much better than the 1910, having a similar scaler (inferior to the 2910, as I recall, so more macroblocking).

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it? I’m currently pulled between importing the Oppo and the Pioneer 868 if I can get one reasonably cheap end of line. The Samsung 950 could be good, but I haven’t seen many PAL land comments on it yet.

Anybody reading this, please feel free to add, correct, enhance and ridicule. I’m just amazed that in 2005 we can’t buy a DVD player under £800 without some kind of problem!

Squibbly

6. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Damn! I just sent my Sammy 850 back and swapped it for a Tosh 350E and I plan to use it with HDMI...

7. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Still might be good. From memory, I think Ekko Star returned it saying the laser was misaligned. It was a fairly recent post, so do a search. I think we need to see more reviews on this one.

I'm betting on a 5* review in What HiFi no matter how good it is, though!

What was wrong with the Samsung 850? Isn't it just the 950 without the universal player gubbins?

Squibbly

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I returned it because the model I got was faulty. It is still a very good player for the price and the HDMI out of it for me was not bad but not brilliant either. It will sell loads because of the price point, generally good and it replaces a very popular predecessor.

I'm using an 868 which for me is the one to beat at the moment.

9. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could look at the Philips DVP9000S - available from Pixmania for £249 plus delivery (Less any discount vouchers you can find on the net).

HDMI based machine, Faroudja, upscaling, SACD, CD upsampling to DSD, kitchen sink....

Very nice looking machine, sounds fantastic, image is good - in my opinion, as good as my old Arcam DV27 and very little image noise.

I would recommend it.

Darren

10. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :mad: ok, just put my new tosh through it paces (could only test via RGB Scart until my LCD for the bedroon arrives) very good picture, good amount of detail etc...but does NOT play DVD+R or +RW.....its going straight back :mad:

Decent player from the amount of time i spent with it but if you need playback from DVD+R/RW discs (as i presume alot of people would for DivX) its no good. Talk about shoot yourself in the foot!! :suicide:

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Use DVD-RW or DVD-R instead...

12. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using Oppo with hdmi-dvi cable. I am very happy with it since and dont have those reported lip-sync problems. Ordered it directly from oppo (shipped within few hours).