1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player with good decoder and speaker management

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tommy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of upgrading my system with a new DVD player. Since my reciever is about 4 years now, midrange onkyo model, maybe it could be a good idea to let the DVD player handle the audio decoding instead, running analog 5.1 to reciever...?

Thus I am looking for a DVD player with good built in decoders and decent speaker/base management, I would also like it to have component output for video. And it must be multi region, modified or out of the box.

What would my choices be with a price limit of 750 pounds / 1100 euros?

2. dantheman

dantheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the budget you have i would upgrade both dvd player and receiver and keep the decoding digital. The benefits of a new receiver are pro logic 2 and 6.1 decoding. Marantz or Pioneer could be worth a look.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    You could consider the Arcam DV78 if that's the route you want to take. If you decide to upgrade your receiver in the future then you'll have a bloody good DVD player too.

4. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the Denon DVD-2900 right now, and then maybe later on upgrading my reciever to a processor+amplifier combination in the future if I need more power.

Going for a pioneer dvd+reciever now on the current budget I could get either of the following combinations:

a) DVD-668AV + VSX-D912
    b) DVD-565A + VSX-AX3

How would the PQ of those DVD-players compare to the Denon using the component output with an interlaced singal?

And do any one of the recievers really have better D/A-converters than the Denon?

5. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,
    I don't think that the Arcam DV78 has 5.1 analog outputs. ... :confused: I had a look at the online manual http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/DiVADV78M2.pdf , but maybe the specifications have changed?

The Arcam DV89 on the other hand seems to have everything I want, apart from the price tag - I find it a little too expensive.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tommy,

Please note the 565 does not like Panasonic tv's using RGB (Scart) and region 1 ( or vice versa ), I know from use.

Ged