DVD player with good decoder and speaker management

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tommy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of upgrading my system with a new DVD player. Since my reciever is about 4 years now, midrange onkyo model, maybe it could be a good idea to let the DVD player handle the audio decoding instead, running analog 5.1 to reciever...?

Thus I am looking for a DVD player with good built in decoders and decent speaker/base management, I would also like it to have component output for video. And it must be multi region, modified or out of the box.

What would my choices be with a price limit of 750 pounds / 1100 euros?

2. dantheman

dantheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the budget you have i would upgrade both dvd player and receiver and keep the decoding digital. The benefits of a new receiver are pro logic 2 and 6.1 decoding. Marantz or Pioneer could be worth a look.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    You could consider the Arcam DV78 if that's the route you want to take. If you decide to upgrade your receiver in the future then you'll have a bloody good DVD player too.

4. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the Denon DVD-2900 right now, and then maybe later on upgrading my reciever to a processor+amplifier combination in the future if I need more power.

Going for a pioneer dvd+reciever now on the current budget I could get either of the following combinations:

a) DVD-668AV + VSX-D912
    b) DVD-565A + VSX-AX3

How would the PQ of those DVD-players compare to the Denon using the component output with an interlaced singal?

And do any one of the recievers really have better D/A-converters than the Denon?

5. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,
    I don't think that the Arcam DV78 has 5.1 analog outputs. ... :confused: I had a look at the online manual http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/DiVADV78M2.pdf , but maybe the specifications have changed?

The Arcam DV89 on the other hand seems to have everything I want, apart from the price tag - I find it a little too expensive.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tommy,

Please note the 565 does not like Panasonic tv's using RGB (Scart) and region 1 ( or vice versa ), I know from use.

Ged