1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player wanted!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IGADHIA, Feb 7, 2003.

1. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking for a dvd player to go with the 50'' plasma that I getting...

which do you recommend around £400-600 ish...

thinking denon 3800 mk II

ideas? (connecting to panny plasma probably and denon 3802)

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Definitely a good spec to go for.. but I would also suggest to look at the spec of Pio DV-757Ai. I have got one and is used with a Denon 3801 (same like yours but without Dolby Prologic 2) and a Pio plasma screen. An engineer at Pioneer insisted that the 757Ai had plasma displays in mind when designed... looking at the operating manual it does highlight the compatability with plasma.
    You can get it for £610.

3. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £610? Where from? Also, how does the pioneer cope with music and plain stereo CDs? I'm looking for a new mid/high end player that does good stereo as well and have been told that the Arcam is one of the best but that's a couple of hundred quid extra! :(

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Have a look at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=PIO-DV757AI&affiliateid=98

This where I got mine. Plain stereo CD playback is excellent.
    I had older Pio and Denon DVD players with good CD play but this is definitely much better. Actually, looking for value for money, I was comparing against the Arcam DV-88 plus. Indeed a great machine but could never justify the higher price against Pioneer's price, features and quality. You will find many threads with people telling you about let's give it to British Arcam, they are great.. and so on.. Yes I would love them to do and they will one day. But is my money, can read the specs, can test the machines and for me the Pio and even the Denon you are also thinking win it. Try the audio on Pio for yourself. I think you will prefer it to Denon on CD, DVD-A and SACD. Let me know how you get on .. all the best!

5. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers costas! I'm just waiting for insurance money to come through for it then I'll be buying pretty much straightaway. I had the Pioneer 737 and thought that was excellent for CD playback as well as video playback. I sold it cos work sent me to China and I thought I was going to be out there for more about 12 months but that only lasted for 6. The pioneer would probably suit my pioneer thx amp better as well :smashin:

Will let you know.

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Excellent because I also still have the 737 (now in the bedroom).
    So I have been able to do a direct comparison on CD audio quality between 737 and 757 side by side. If the 737 is excellent machine, the 757 is even better according to my ears and... eyes when I look at the picture on my plasma screen. By the way I have just noticed the 757 is on review on the March edition of What Video. Have look, it sounds good!

7. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed (and thought), the one at empire isn't multiregion is it? :(

8. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    You are right... you will need about 30-40 pounds more for that

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Before you take the plunge, you may want to do a quick search here on the Forums to see what others think of Empire Direct.

They don't have a particularly stellar reputation when it comes to customer service and after sales backup.

I can personally vouch for their lack of organisation in this respect, it took them more than a month to issue me with a refund for an item sent by mistake. :(

They don't return phone calls and never responded to any of my emails. I personally will never buy another item from then again, but that's just my opinion as a private individual with the right to spend my hard earned £££s elsewhere. ;)

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Very interesting to hear this. In fact somebody else told me they were unhappy with Empire. On the other hand both my neighbour and I had a very good experience. I have personally used them 3 times and everytime the service was first class, regarding delivery, e-mail, phone-calls and even a return I made.