1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player upgrade from Toshiba 3109

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Greg Hook, May 31, 2004.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    Hi

Currently in my HC setup my ageing DVD player, a Toshiba SD-3109, is the oldest component. I think its about 4/5 years old, not 100%

I have never had a problem with it, although of late it seems to be getting noisier. But I am looking for some suggestions for players to upgrade too.

As this is an old player, am I likely to see a big increase in sound and picture quality from a new machine available for the same price range? about £400

If so, any ideas for good machines, would preferably like multiregion, as I am currently stuck with R2 only!, component, 2 scarts, optical and usual stuff.

If the picture and sound quality are not much better then I will probably stick with my current one until it finally dies.

Thanks
    Greg

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    projector? plasma? tv? depending on display the choice would differ :)

You would be right in your thinking that a £400 player will seriously better your tosh

ad

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    TV and AE100 projector

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so a bit of prog scan would be nice then..... how about the denon 2200.... im not really familiar with this area but it sounds reasonable....

ad

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    Thanks for the replies buns, so the picture and sound from this Denon are likely to be (significantly) better than my current Tosh?

Cheers
    Greg

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be confident that will be the case. Of course there will be alternative players which will do similarly well..... i was kind of hoping someone more familiar with this part of the market would chime in.....

ad

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it looks like the denon is actually more than £400..... there is one in the classifeds for that so im guessing that is more a 2nd hand price. So if you were wanting the denon and willing to pay the extra for a new one (i think it is actually £600) then there would be other alternatives like the arcam dv8X series which can be had at five and six hundred pounds.

I'll have a look later on what is actually in the £400 range if you like.

Ad

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    Great, many thanks Buns, looks like you are the only one going to post on my thread!

I have checked out the Denon 2200 on the net and prices look to be about £480 from the cheapest supplier. I could probably stretch to this, or leave it a few months and it may go even lower, unless there are some better options for this price range?

Thanks again for your replies.
    Greg

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Better me than no one I guess!

The only other machine sprining to mind at about £480 is the arcam dv88+ which can be had from creative for £500 (though apparently they have only black stock remaining). I'll take a look about later but im sure there must be at least something worth considering from pioneer, i dont know the current models, a 747 or 757 maybe would be the top dog at the mo..... i'll look this evening :)

ad

10. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend ARCAM DV88+ as I bought the DV89 (includes DVD-A) & play it through a Z2. Very impressive picture, but also an excellent CD player :)

I was tempted by the Denon, but wanted to ensure it had not been converted to MRegion, due to problems experienced by others on this forum. As for the Pioneers I was slightly concerned over the Chroma Bug which some had seen on their PJs. Thus the Arcam route.

Cheers Dave

11. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The new Yamaha 1500 coming out has a Faroudja DCDI de-interlacer and is a bit cheaper than the Denon.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    here would be my list from a quick look:

denon 2200
    arcam dv88+
    pioneer 656
    pioneer 757

All the best

Ad

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    Thanks for the replies.

What is a Faroudja DCDI de-interlacer and why do I want one? :confused:

14. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The de-interlacer is what creates progressive scan frames from the interlaced fields the player puts out in non-progressive modes.

I think the main difference in video quality between a £400 player and a £80 one where both have progressive scan is that the expensive one should have a better de-interlacer. De-interlacing is a difficult job so there is a lot of scope for variation in the quality. Faroujda DCDI and the Sil 504 chip are two well-know de-interlacers that various manufacturers put in their DVD players or TVs/projectors. Usually the de-interlacer is not one of these two because they are expensive to licence.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you were looking for a progressive scan player. If you feed your projector an interlaced signal it will de-interlace it itself. It may not do as good a job as a top-quality de-interlacer.

The Denon 2200, 2900 and A1 use the Sil504 chip, the A11 uses Faroudja, the cheaper Denons don't have either. Someone has posted details of a new range of Denon players somewhere on this board, if I remember correctly they all use Faroudja.

If you don't need progressive scan then I doubt an expensive player is worthwhile, unless it is sound abilities that matter to you.

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Although you probably arent wanting to go this deep, my feeling is that the sil chip is much better for us. You must have mainly R2 material (pal) at which the sil chip really excels. Perhaps on this basis the 2200 denon is your strongest choice in terms of picture

ad

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    Thanks guys, looks like the Denon 2200 is favourite!