DVD player upgrade from Tosh SD220

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Howard0000, May 15, 2005.

1. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi folks,

I have been considering upgrading my Tosh SD220e to something a bit more modern that A) plays DVD-A and SACDs properly and B) handles a wider range of DVD + and -R media better.

I was considering the Pioneer 575 until I started reading about the fact that more and more players have DVI and HDMI outputs.
    Then I came across the Samsung DVD-HD950, here and it seems perfect.

My question is, is it actually future-proof enough with it's HDMI and DVI outputs while not actually being able to play back the new HDDVD formats that I assume will appear in the next year or so?
    I dunno whether or not I'll still have it when I ever upgrade my telly, most likely yes. Would upscaling the existing DVDs to 720 or 1080 look good or would it make it look worse?

Secondly, will the picture quality be much of an improvement over my Tosh? It's not esential that it is because I'm upgrading for the features, but I certainly don't want to downgrade in terms of quality!

Thirdly, where can I buy a cheap analogue 5.1 phono lead (for DVDA and SACD connection)? :D

Cheers

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    950 is not out yet (?) but the positive noise about the 850 seems to suggest it will be a very good player.

In terms of DVI/HDMI it will only be of use if your current display device (or one you plan to buy) has these connections. HiDef is another story, no DVD player you buy now will be of any use in that respect.

DVI/HDMI should theoretically give a better PQ, and indeed many people report it is stunning. I find DVI is great though no improvement over component on a 575. Upscaling depends entirely on whether the upscaler in the DVD player is better or worse then the one in the display device. Theoretically removing digital->analog->digital conversions from the chain should keep things cleaner but there's no guarantee in practice.

So basically will 950/575 be better than your Tosh? Probably yes (though you haven't said how you have the Tosh connected) - will the 950 be better than the 575? - without trying them side by side, on your display device, you'll never know.

3 x bog standard stereo leads will suffice for a 5.1 - try tvcables.co.uk or somewhere similar. If you really want a dedicated 5.1 they can be pricey, there are usually quite a few for sale on ebay...PJ :)

3. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Ahh.... It's available to buy on DigiUK so I assumed it was in stock. When's it due?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Guessing, in the next month or 3 - I added some more thoughts to previous post!

...PJ :)

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I have the 850 which is the same as the 950 minus dvd-audio and sacd, the picture thru HDMI when upscaled to 720p is incredible but this is not going to benefit you unless your display can handle it.
    The samsung players are quirky mind and seeing as you cannot benefit from HDMI I would'nt bother unless you are planning on changing your display in the near future.

6. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the info guys.
    PJ, I'm using RGB scart from my Toshiba.

Well I want DVD-A and SACD anyway, and the Samsung seemed the sensible choice seeing as it has future-proof connections, just incase I get a better display in the next couple of years which is probable.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you plan to spend a bit of money on SACD/DVD-A's then be slightly careful... You need to be sure you can set up the speaker distances etc properly on the Sammy, the 575 allows you to do this (up to a point - nowhere nead as tunable as a proper SACD player I'd guess, but adequate)but I'm not sure the Sammy's do... it is an important facet apparantly. I can't recall my 745 giving this ability...PJ

8. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't the amp's settings allow for all that?

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It might depends on the amp. The 5.1 inputs go into the "Ext decoder" of my amp and as such the amp presumes all such control takes place external so doesn't offer the ability to make subsequent adjustments in this mode.

Other amps may allow this though...PJ :)

10. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hmm... Mine calls it "Multi Ch Input" and allows me to control the level of the speakers with it enabled.. :)

When will we know when the HD950 is available for sale?

I am 99% sure I want one!

11. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I ordered mine last week and stocks (in as far as Softjam go) on 23-5 at time of ordering. But when I just looked it said 27-5.

I didn't think it was available until the middle of June, but at £127.00 I don't mind waiting.

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm sure its going to be a very nice player. I'm impressed with the 745, considering the price!...PJ :thumbsup:

13. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Just a quick point for someone with more knowledge of this than myself.

The 950 outputs HDMI and uses HDCP protection. I intended to use it with my Acer PD112 projector and the manual says it can do HDTV at 1080 but the manual doesn't mention HDCP.

I'm under the illusion that if the projector dosn't support it I'll get a weird copy protected speckley picture or nothing at all.

I've sent emails to both companies mid week but had no response.

The 112 is discontinued now, last years model, but the 113 is almost identicle and it's manual doesn't mention HDCP either.

Am I confused over the whole subject, or are all modern projectors compatible?

Thanks.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If the 950 adheres to previous Samsung models the multi region hack disables HDCP so it will be academic...PJ :)

15. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Thanks PJ :clap:

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just a quick note guys HDMI inputs are rare enough, without wasting one on a DVD player. (in my opinion HDMI is a waste of time DVD unless you own a pioneer plasma anyway) Component is superior on most displays, if you want a "digital signal path" go SDi and do it properly, this upscaling monkey business is also a waste of time and money for most displays (especially CRT TV's) bag a great analogue player now the 575 is a bargain for £99 and with denon 2900 going for £300 or less second hand budget HDMI players are not going to cut it. Owning a cheap DLP or LCD PJ you may see a benefit in using DVi/HDMI, but thats more often due to poor analogue processing on the display than a great DVD player output performance, Match your kit sensibly and ignore everything i say until you have used you eyes.

17. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What's the difference between the HD950 and the currently-available HD945?

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    On the evidence of what I see, I agree. Component on the 575 outstrips DVI on the 745 (and that's with a "cheap" LCD PJ!). I can well understand people going ape over DVI/HDMI 'caus in isolation it looks great on my PJ, and I'd imagine it looks even better on a smaller plasma or normal TV. But until you do a side-by-side comparison with a decent component machine you'll never really know which is best...PJ

19. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Strange, I tried a 575 and a Tosh 340e a while ago as an upgrade from my Tosh 220.
    As elsewhere on this forum I prefered the 340e. The downside was that I actually prefered my old 220 after a short while and sent the 340e back and still use it.

From reports here of the 850, which is the same as the 950 minus bells and whistles, it seems it's HDMI output is much better. I'll make judgement between the two when mine turns up.

20. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I've said before that I thought the 220E was a better player, in terms of picture quality, than the 340E which I owned briefly. Maybe it's my eyes!

After reading this post I dug out the 220E again and did a short comparison with the Panasonic S97. The PQ is on a par with the S97 via HDMI, imo.

It pains me to say this after paying out yet again on a supposedly superior machine, but the 220E has matched every player I've tested. I should just believe the evidence of my own eyes I think.

I don't think, personally, that you'll improve the PQ unless you spend a lot more (maybe). But you will get better compatibility with a newer player.

21. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Mray

Thank god, at least it's not just me. That's two of us who agree, or have bad eyesight.

22. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncanny. Just came here to look for suggestions on a replacement for my own 220, and find you all saying it is irreplaceable!!!

In which case, does anybody have a copy of the firmware flash that used to be available to make it multiregion? I used this to flash mine when I first got it, but over the past few months it has started to get a little picky about which discs it will play. I was hoping that reapplying this firmware flash would solve things, but all I can find is a dead link to where it used to be.

If I can't fix this, the Tosh will have to go regardless, as I am struggling to explain to my 2 year old why she can no longer watch Toy Story :oops:

23. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Ha ha!
    Hello idoexist.
    I remember you from the megatest thread.
    I think it was us two who commented back then that the 220E seemed to have better PQ than the 340E.
    I've compared mine to the Momitsu and Yamakawa Upscaling players too, and while they put out a decent pic, the 220 still pips them. The only downside is the disc compatibility and the age of my machine.
    It could just be our eyes though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

24. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    A short while ago someone posted a link that worked for the 220 firmware, I just can't track it down.

It's not uncommon for the 220 to lose it's MR but no one knows why.

Mine is around 3 years old, used a lot, and has not yet showed any sign of having MR trouble. As I said I've ordered a 950 but after mrays testing it may be a mistake.

25. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Mine has some DVD-r incompatibility, but the 340e was a mess with them. I'll get us some really strong glasses to see the error of our ways :D

26. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    If that's a Samsung 950 you've ordered, it's had some very positive reviews, so you may be pleasantly surprised. I don't think it has the macroblocking problems that seem to come with the S97, though the 97 is a good player.

I think I'll give the glasses a miss and stick with the 220 (It might work out less expensive in the long run), and the picture looks soooo much better without them. :thumbsup:

27. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Yes, it is a Samsung 950. When I get it it's going to be tested quite hard against my old 220 just too see if there's a noticeable benefit.

Shame about the glasses as you're going to look a bit funny walking down the street with a DVD player on your head :eek:

28. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I think I'd rather that than a pair of glasses under the TV! ;)